Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting in English Language only please

Dusty
Grafter

Re: Posting in English Language only please

Quote from: Big
I gave up reading this total rubbish ages ago.
I only got back to this thread because I clicked on the link "Show replies to your posts"
Do us all a favour and bin it, plug it, delete it close it or better still shoot anyone who post anything after this post.....
BF.

I do find it most ironic the ones saying we should be more tolerant etc, are now trying to imply that we cant debate the subject at all . So what do you want? a free forum for who exactly. Would it be free only if they agree with you . I'm sure if you raised a point you thought valid, you may feel petered if someone came along and dismissed your views by saying delete , plug it , bin it or shoot you if you post a view different to mine. Show a bit more tolerance to other peoples views as you do to the polish section please.
Been away two week and no new posts and only one customer has ever posted in it . Come on plusnet admit it, you made a mistake on this one and your just humouring your polish staff.
Spider
Grafter

Decided to stand up and be shot as my views have not changed. Just reread the thread and one overwhelming comment is that the forum is there so that Polish staff can support Polish customers.
Quote from: Chris
The only area that Polish can be posted is in the Polish specific forum, this is so the Polish staff here can offer support to the customers that have signed up for our Polish service.

This is an unusual stance as Plusnet insist that the official support route is the Ticketing System. The use of the Ticketing System does not preclude a Polish customer from raising a ticket in Polish. The result from Plusnets point of view is that their Polish staff would have to translate it for the other staff members.
God
Grafter

I am not really sure why folks appear to be wanting to score points on what is clearly a low cost experiment to look at the possibilities and potential business advantages of a multi language UK offering by plusnet.
As English speakers we tend to forget all the non English speaking web sites we visit that offer an English version by default. How lucky we are compared to folks who speak other languages.
Too many Sun readers, nimbys and the like complaining. There is nothing wrong with it, it hasn't put a penny on your plusnet bill... If you want to nit pick, do it about something worthwhile.
Spider
Grafter

Oops, didn't realise that I was trying to score points or pointing out inconsistencies was nit picking. Hey, but I am  not perfect nor move in celestial circles.
God
Grafter

I know.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: God
As English speakers we tend to forget all the non English speaking web sites we visit that offer an English version by default. How lucky we are compared to folks who speak other languages.

Quite! For example I wonder how many AVG users realise the native Grisoft website is http://www.grisoft.cz/ ?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Spider
Grafter

I agree and often use foreign websites that have been translated in to English. The difference, as I mentioned earlier, is that the Plusnet Polish website features both Polish and English. The foreign sites that I convert their whole site to English when I select English. The different language options are then still available via small flags or a text link in the different languages.
Dusty
Grafter

The big difference here that the all knowing seems of neglected, is that many sites in English are for a global market. The global language is English. Is plusnet broadband for a global market.
If so would polish hit the richter scale in popular languages if it was ? 
Once again it seems if you share one opinion your scoring points, if its the other  view your all heavenly  Wink
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: Dusty
The global language is English.

Last time I read the news, I'm sure there wasn't anything about Earths unilateral language being English. Simply because it is the most widley used language, does not make it the global language. I believe Mandarin is actually the most used languaged on Earth anyway.
There is absolutely no legal obligation for PlusNet to provide service to specific groups of people. They are a UK-based ISP, therefore their main service language is English - No problem there. The fact that they provide Polish support is a BONUS, not a hinderance to speakers of other languages. They have the ways and means for providing service to users that speak a specific language other than English, so they are doing so. Hats off to PlusNet I say, they could easy just have no Polish section and make it harder for whatever Polish customers they have to communicate with staff and/or other Polish customers.
Dusty, if you would like to help PlusNet out and be a moderator of different forums for the thousands of languages currently in use, I'm sure PlusNet would love to hear from you Tongue  I'm sure if they had the means to do so, they would give support for numberous other languages if they had staff fluent in that language.
Dusty
Grafter

Who said anything about the most used? i am referring to global and business . As clearly stated by my post .So are you saying Mandarin is used as the global language of the world in commerce and business ? Its a fact English is the most globally used language learnt by other people from other countries
http://www.cepr.org/press/DP2055PR.htm
LiamM
Grafter

Personally, I think this thread is just going round and round in circles and is getting nowhere.
Clearly, everyones views on the subject differ - but the point is - nothing is going to come of this debate.
I'd suggest we just drop it here and agree to disagree 🙂
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: LiamM
I'd suggest we just drop it here and agree to disagree 🙂

I agree to agree to disagree Tongue
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Once again it seems if you share one opinion your scoring points, if its the other  view your all heavenly  Wink

Who is trying to score points? I couldn't care less whether Plusnet do or do not have a Polish portal and forum website providing that the effort expended on it by Plusnet does not degrade the service I receive. What I do care about is xenophobes who object to efforts being made to attract and meet the requirements of a particular part of the British Community.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Dusty
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

Who is trying to score points? I couldn't care less whether Plusnet do or do not have a Polish portal and forum website providing that the effort expended on it by Plusnet does not degrade the service I receive. What I do care about is xenophobes who object to efforts being made to attract and meet the requirements of a particular part of the British Community.

I agree about xenophobe's, that's why i think its wrong to single out only one language for special treatment. as for scoring points you should be asking the  poster who bought it up in the first place.
itsme
Grafter

If it was an experiment I would say that it is expensive and not self financing as the last post was on the 2/8/07 and only one Polish member have posted. For this reason it should be removed.