Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post marked as spam

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Post marked as spam

I was wondering why I received no reply to my post yesterday, looked for it today to update and found it had been "removed". I was going to make another post, but found the original topic link in my browser history. It appears to have been marked as spam and I don't know why/I have had to use the "report to moderators" link to try and get it revived and obviously I can't ad to it or edit it. I would appreciate knowing what was so wrong with the post that it was considered spam, so that I can avoid it again.

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Post marked as spam

Hi Marksfish, the spam filter is automatic and how it decides on what is spam and what is not can depend on the content but is largely unknown how it evaluates certain posts. Sometimes it will be a particular link in the content or if the message is editted with new links added and a bunch of other factors that I cannot confirm. If a post is marked as spam, just report your posts and mods will mark it as 'not spam' to get the post back.

Sorry if this caused any inconvenience - the hard truth is that spam accounts do happen and there have been some incidents in the past (for example - mass private messaging causing hundreds of emails being sent to a user) that have caused us to take action and put some safeguards in place.

edit: I should also add that the spam filter is part of the Lithium software and not something I have any direct access to (in terms of the code and how it works).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It has been released now. Strange though, as no links were in the post at all.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Marksfish

I see the post was edited and this action does invoke the spam filter at times. As @jaread83 said above use the Report to Moderator option and one of us will release it as soon as we can.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I just had this issue myself. My initial thought was it was some childish forum user. But it seems thats not the case which is good. I have submitted a request to have it reinstated.