cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Order

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Post Order

On the old forum when I clicked on a thread I had it set to open on the most recent post and could then scroll down to the older posts.

I don't seem to be able to set the new forum up in the same way. The posts are listed in numerical sequence. How can I reverse the order?

10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Post Order

I don't know of an option to do that artmo. But try https://community.plus.net/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences:linear-format >Jump to first unread post in a topic put a tick there and Save and see if that helps.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Anotherone, thanks for your reply. I already had that ticked and it hasn't sorted out the problem.

In the old forum it was possible to open a thread with the latest post on top. This was very useful in a long thread where you didn't have to plough through numerous pages to read the latest posts.

Can someone at PN Towers take a look at this?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The new forums did have an option to sort replies as latest first, but if you used that the latest reply was always labelled "message #2" and so on.This meant any reference to (say) "see Message #25" was totally meaningless to anyone with posts sorted earliest first; also useless with latest first after a new post had been added.

On SMF if you sort latest first the correct reply numbers are retained.

To avoid this confusion during preview testing we requested the ability to reverse post order be removed.

David
Anotherone
Champion

I was trying to remember yesterday about such an option as I recalled something about this came up, but I was too busy responding to posts to go digging in the history. Thanks spraxyt for reminding us. It was a very important problem and one that needs fixing, otherwise it would really have messed up any cross-referencing of posts. As with another issue, I'm not sure what the progress of this change to the core Lithium product is.

At the moment I don't know if the jump to first unread post option actually works - I've read too many posts Embarrassed Can anyone who has it set tell me please Wink

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I cannot be absolutely positive in my response as during the past days I've changed many settings as I check out the new site.

As far as I can tell it seems to work sporadically.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - much like the authentication problem.  I've left it on the back burner for the present but will now look out for specific recordable instances.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I think that is what I may have seen as well Maurice, so I'm going to try and keep an eye on it. It's possible any sporadic behaviour is caused by the same thing(s) as is causing the issues in the Bugs thread.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My impression is that jump to first unread post mostly works - but you have to give it time. The opening post displays initially (giving the impression it isn't working) but after a second or two the display repositions to the first unread post.

However it doesn't work when clicking the link in the notifications list. I find that always goes to the last post made even though the text tells you several posts have been made.

David
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Jump to first post appears to working reliably today (with the caveat that @spraxyt refers re:  accessing via Notifications.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

When I click on the link I am now finding it jumps to the post in question. It's not working as it did in the old forum though.

Do I understand that this has been reported as a bug?

Anotherone
Champion

If it's not jumping to the first Unread post with that setting, it would be a bug. But we think it is OK most of the time, when it isn't that, that might be down to the same problem that's causing the other Bugs mentioned in the Bug thread.