cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - Please overhaul the swear filter?

geewizz
Grafter

Re: Plusnet - Please overhaul the swear filter?

Grin That's cunning.
Not applicable

An of course, by default we replace most words with a link to the relevant section of the link:rules, and because its a hyperlink it appears very obvious - we can just change the words though.
For example, a common typo[?] of a visitor in the past was to miss the o out in account, the word censor corrects it to account though without appearing hugely obvious that its changed.
We also use the word censor as a tool to help us inserting all the links we use, so for example, link:rules is replaced by the word censor with the link to the rules, link:censored adds the url and formatting we use as a default for most of the words in the censor. link:pug adds a link to the Plusnet Usergroup, and so on.
geewizz
Grafter

link:sausage
Sad Worth a try.
Not applicable

link:freemoney doesn't appear to work either. Sad
geewizz
Grafter

Sorry, I just realised that link sausages are not common outwith Scotland. I'm not used to an international audience.
From wikipedia :
In many areas "sausage meat" for frying and stuffing into poultry and meat, is sold as slices cut from an oblong block of pressed meat without casing: in Scotland this is known as Lorne Sausage or often sliced or square while the usual form is sometimes called sausage links.
Not applicable

If you'd said lorne:sausage I'd have got your meaning... although doesn't quite work as well does it?
how about:
<link:london | link:london | link:london>
Cheesy
chillypenguin
Grafter

To return to the more serious side of this subject...
The word censor is a very blunt tool, as it is often not the word but the context that it is used in that is offensive. The current list was just copied over from the old forums without review, perhaps it is time for us review it and remove the words that themselves are not offensive. This does leave an issue with some of the old content on the forum may contain these `marginal` words in an offensive context.
As James said, PM us with suggestions, and we will consider removing them from the filter. But remember to `avoid` the word censor *. (Put a space in the middle of the word.)
* Note, that we consider it a far more serious breach of the forum rules to try avoiding the word censor, that swearing itself.
Jonathan
geewizz
Grafter

Dude, you need a poofreader.
(Irony, pathos and slapstick in one post. There's a first.)
God
Grafter

Fuck me, so you can swear as much as you bleeding want, make a right cunt of yourself as long as you don't try and beat the wank censor? Ohh... Bleeding is ok! Please allow cr.ap.
Many thanks.
Santiago
Grafter

I'm shocked. God, go and wash your mouth keyboard out with soapy water immediately
I would also like cr ap to be allowed
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The hidden board sounds like an idea - trouble is, it's a bit difficult to discuss existing words which should be removed, when they will be removed from the posts!
And we're breaking the rules by trying to get around it, even in the context of a swear filter thread Wink
I guess the mods could use the edit button to find what underlying text was beneath that post, but it doesn't help the rest of us.
It would be really nice for users to be able to opt out of having the swear filter applied to all posts, so someone who isn't easily offended (like myself) could have it set against their account. But I guess SMF doesn't support that even if people were for the idea (which I doubt) Cheesy
EDIT: Ahh re-read Chilly's point about making the space (teach me not to read a thread through properly! One thing I'd like to add is I noticed some time ago, acroynms which can refer to swear words are in the filter, but of course in themselves they are not. Say for example W.TF is currently included. Of course I wouldn't expect the third word to be removed from the filter, but the acroynms? I can understand W.TF as it is has quite an agressive tone - but going along those lines, stuff like PITA and RTFM should be included as well.
God
Grafter

I have seen other boards where the filter is optional, default on of course. It works very well. Maybe we can get the list of the offending words emailed to us and make a list of candidates for removal?
By the way I agree with the earlier statement that it is often the use of words rather than the actual words that are offensive, there have been offensive posts with no swearing in at all.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Alex
but going along those lines, stuff like PITA and RTFM should be included as well.

Why should Read The Flipping Manual be included?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't know "flaming" was a swear word either - as in RTFM
Spider
Grafter

Of the suggestions made I think a separate board is the best idea. That way a list of current words can be discussed and other suggestions made. The problem with PMs is that nobody knows what anybody else is saying so easily creating duplication for the Mods to wade through. I don't mind participating and throwing a few spanners around, I don't like swearing but accept in moderation it as its uses. As some of you may already realise I am quite happy (and enjoy) playing devils advocate Cheesy ;).