Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop logging me out!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I am becoming really frustrated at being logged out every few days. It's pathetic and it's even more pathetic that its apparently a very important security measure... especially when SMF let us stay logged in all year and it wasn't a security issue back then.

So please, justify this feature to me or scrap it. I've had to log in on two devices today and i've had enough of it. It's fiddly enough just trying to reply using a mobile phone but to keep getting the login page is frustrating.

Thank you for reading this plusnet.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav) All caps title removed as per Forum rules

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
11 REPLIES 11
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I don't get logged out on any of the 3 devices I use to access the forum.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I need to login sometimes when I start a new mobile browsing session but my username and password is always inserted from having saved the credentials so its one click. For desktop browsers I rarely need to log on. The only time it logs me out is if I leave a page open on my browser and leave it for a few hours while the screensaver is going on.

This is a security feature that was recommended to be a 30 minute window of idle activity will log you out... but was increased to 120 minutes against that recommendation and by request of the users here. The logic behind this is supposed to be that if you leave your computer for any length of time with the community open in your browser and someone else comes along and you forgot to sign out, it would sign you out so that another person cant use the same device you were on and start messing with your account.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Please stop logging me out!

How about I look into increasing the number to something really long so it would be difficult for that system to automatically log you out after so many minutes? I'd need to discuss with @LouisaMartin first.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you really feel there is a need Jack, but I've not had any issues with this lately, especially since that timeout was increased to 120 minutes.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have made some adjustments that should help you guys out.

The cookie for auto sign-in expiration has been changed from 30 days to now never expire (if you delete your browser cache that will be the only way it will clear it now).

The auto log out timer has been increased to 200 minutes and that is the maximum that the system will let me go up to on that. I wanted to increase it to 24 hours so it would be unlikely to happen but 200 is the max so let's see if that alleviates the issue.

Cheers

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Had to sign in again today..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i never get  logged out on PC but every time on mobile i have to sign in

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with @Browni on this one the only time I ever have to log in either on my Mac or iPad is when I consciously logout or erase cookies. I think I've only ever physically logged in a handful (assuming you've about 10 fingers on a hand!) of times since the site was launched, so it would be interesting to see what the logs said.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@rongtw wrote:

i never get  logged out on PC but every time on mobile i have to sign in

I echo this response. For a brief period of time after an update to chrome on my mobile, I stayed logged in on my mobile pretty consistently, however the update following that sent it back to making me log in on my mobile each visit after an extended period of time.

My laptop at work and home have both stayed logged in consistently.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Same as @Browni and @Anonymous here. Unless I've actually logged out, I'm rarely prompted for a login on any device. I hadn't been keeping notes, but maybe an update to forum software might sometimes trigger it, but there hasn't been one in the last few days AFAIK.

Mav
Fixes: 514

I never get logged out when using the PC but occasionally do using the tablet or phone. Can't find any rhyme or reason for that as I could be using the phone, put if down a while (not using any other device), then go back to the phone and I have been logged out even though I always select the option to stay logged in.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still