cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbers of scammers

Lwio
Rising Star

Numbers of scammers

Could we have a thread, possibly this one were users can post the numbers of scam phone callers. Plusnet could then possibly block these calls so people can’t be scammed.

My first one is 018761659121
This is a robotic call purporting to be from BT saying my interent is about to be cut off etc.
I’ve had similar calls from similar numbers over the last few months. I’ve diverted them using call protect.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Numbers of scammers

@Lwio, Plusnet offer a call blocking service so I doubt if they would act directly on information published here, having said that it may be useful for those that make use of the service or call blocking devices to allow them to add the numbers as a pre-emptive measure.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Lwio My first port of call for numbers I don't recognise is: http://uk.whocalledme.net/ I find it very useful.

My personal strategy for unknown numbers is to let them ring until they either leave a message (very unlikely with auto-dialed scams), or cut the call. If it is someone who really needs to contact you, they should, out of common courtesy, leave a message.  If they don't, I ignore them.

Purely as a matter of interest, the number you have quoted above is, to me, an obvious spam for two reasons (1) no subscriber phone number in the UK (except on the Brighton [01273]) exchange begins with a 1, and (2) the number is too long anyway.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The total number of scammers I have received calls from over the past several years is precisely zero.

My solution was to buy a BT phone that includes call guardian. This is a newer model. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Cordless-Nuisance-Blocking-Answering-Black/dp/B0787G3VRQ/ref=asc_df_B078...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 A good option, but as I need an extension phone and I'm tight Wink, I have a couple of Gigaset phones, and find my way works very well - ignore 'em and they go away. Admittedly, this does mean I get a short spell of fake calls every six months or so, but they soon stop.

John
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

We've been discussing this thread and feel that this community is not an appropriate place for listing the spammers' numbers.

As mentioned above, there are a number of places you can search for known spammers including the site linked to in @jab1's post.

This thread has been moved from Home Phone to Community Site Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1

@jab1 wrote:

ignore 'em and they go away. Admittedly, this does mean I get a short spell of fake calls every six months or so, but they soon stop.

Fine if you don't mind the hassle. In this house it would not be acceptable to SWMBO.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

No hassle for me, @Baldrick1 . Although I'm now retired, I seem to spend very little time at home, so miss most of them anyway.

A simple check of the call log and voicemail, and it's all sorted.Smiley

John
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

One problem we have is that we have had calls when we were out and picked up by the ansaphone no message and we do not recognise the number on caller display.

Having phoned the number we discover it was the hospital regarding an appointment yet they leave no message on the ansaphone.

OK we can record that number in case of future calls but the hospital are not the only ones doing it so you can be left not knowing if it is genuine or not.

The link shown in a earlier post might give you that information but equally some organizations might withold those details.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Baldrick1

Hospital calls can be a pain because they won’t leave a messag,  probably because of privacy concerns. With my call guardian phone, as long as the number is identified in my phone phone book the caller is named in the missed calls list.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Today, so far, I have had 4 phone calls on my landline from "scammers" and I need to do something about it as it's getting past a joke.Angry

Today, one cut me off as soon a I picked up, one held and let me listen to their call centre chats before dumping me,Sad

One was from "Sky", one from "BT". Both of which had great offers 🙂 It's normally "Windows" and them wanting me to get my laptop out 🙂 or accidents claims, I could make.

I am registered with the telephone preference service and have been for years and I've used a call blocker. However this internet phone calls, seem to get through! https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/stillgetcalls.html

Any suggestions?