cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rule? Multiple topics for single issue...

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

New rule? Multiple topics for single issue...

... or perhaps expand the cross posting rule?
I can't see anything that says users should not start multiple topics about the same issue. Is this something that is needed to cover the occasions where moderators (correctly) merge topics?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
6 REPLIES 6
TORPC
Grafter

Re: New rule? Multiple topics for single issue...

It would make less work for the mods,
I am in favour of this Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A similar rule is needed to prevent posters discussing the same point in completely unrelated threads!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

If this area is to be reviewed, can some thought be given to "me too" posting please?
There are times when "me too" on a central pan-user issue is quite appropriate, for example the usage meter issue.  However in other situations "me too" in specific user threads is quite unhelpful and needs to be discouraged.
Suggestion - where "me too" is deemed appropriate May be the title could be prefixed by a mark ( for instance "#m2" ) by the mods.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TORPC
Grafter

@Townman
Could a "Me Too" button option for the poster / Thread starter, to be added to the WYSIWYG set of option, close to or within the "Additional Options and Attachments...", which them could got onto the bottom right corner of the post (be considered)
Or alternative (yet I would discourage as more work for the mods)
Have an option that the Mods only could add to a post if / when required
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

a 'me too button' I feel is impractical because what may seem like a me too often isn't for faults which is most of the threads.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

...which is exactly why I suggested that designation of "me too" issues / faults threads (such as the usage meter and referral issues threads) should be a moderator moderated action - not something which users determine.
There have been a fair few detailed problem threads of recent time which relate to one person and others have added their "similar" (but unique to them) problem or common across many users issues which have spawned a number of distinct threads (see above) and such as the DNS discussions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.