Did you mean: 

New blog feedback

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

New blog feedback

Hi everyone,

I put our latest changes live today on the blog. I wanted to get any feedback you would have on this so I can then make further improvements.

So please feel free to let me know what you think. I hope you find it a lot easier to navigate and find things you're interested in rather than having to dig for it in the old format.

These changes also affect the Library of community made guides - this will be looked into at some point from a content point of view but for now it has simply inherited the changes done to the blog.

Cheers

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New blog feedback

this is a test and it threw up a minor problem

trying to upload a non allowed file - in this case a .zip there was no warning - it just failed

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You should see this warning (which I got)

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 11.53.16.png

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

testing

I get the popup with a zip file but not if I change a file extension from .txt to .zip but it still doesn't upload

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

let me try...

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

.txt files upload just fine...

Oldjim
Resting Legend

not if you change the file extension from .txt to .zip and the file is empty - but it does block it with the popup if it isn't

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

.... sorry to ask this but why would you do that? Zip files cannot be uploaded anyway but txt files can.

Let me try taking a .txt file and changing the extension to .zip and uploading it....

Nope, I get the same error message telling me that .zip files are not allowed:

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.16.24.png

And this was literally a plain text file with the extension changed from .txt to .zip

Oldjim
Resting Legend

see my edit

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The system might be rejected 0 byte files (and with good reason) but not display an error.

I will now try to upload two files.

empty.txt - an empty text file

empty.zip - a duplicate of the empty.txt file but the extension has been changed to .zip

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay so the system rejects 0 byte files. This isn't an issue to me as there is no point trying to upload files that are completely empty.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

nor me - I was just testing to see what happens with a file where the extension was changed to .zip

This is the other way round - a zip file renamed to .txt

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you give the zip file some data it will display an error message. But it has to have at least 1 byte of data otherwise it will just reject the upload.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

this is another test with the same file with the extension changed from .doc to.txt

So having a file with a changed extension would get round the restriction - is this a security risk

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep, that works.

It isn't a security risk and if a user does download a .txt file and changes the extension to something else then that is a risk the user is taking.

We could just remove the ability to attach text files but this is a useful feature for sharing diagnostic logs (unless mods would like it remove that is...).