Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Forum - order of post & replies

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: New Forum - order of post & replies

Regardless of how many topics were started... the number of people who accessed them for information, surely, warrants there being a separate board for Linux users... in the same way as we had a separate board for the Windows users..  

Conscious decisions can be changed to " sensible " decisions,  and revert back to a sensible approach for the consumer to be able to access the information posted... 

It doesn`t cost any more to have separate boards on a forum like this does it?  so what are you saving, by merging them into the fog and mire department..   all you are doing is making life more difficult for people, instead of "improving" this forum by all the work you have done to "update" it... it is turning out to be a downgrade, just like windows 10 ....

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So - if I need to ask a question about Mint or Ubuntu or Redhat or LVM or NFS will anybody respond?

If I want to find out about SAMBA should I add extra keywords such as Windows, Microsoft, Linux?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@bobpullen wrote:

A conscious decision was made to merge the Linux/Mac posts into another forum. Looking at the old site, there have been less than 20 topics started in the Liniux/Mac forum since the start of the year. Those topics can all be attributed to a group of ~10 people.

All feedback welcomed of course, but I can kinda see why the decision was made Undecided

I have to say Bob, that I thought from early suggestions about Board Structure that Hardware, Windows, IOS & Other were going to be 3 separate boards. I can't say that I went and looked at the number of posts on Mac/Linux on the old forum but as others have already said it should not be mixed up with Windows and Hardware. Hardware should definitely be separate as well. If I'd realised this was going to happen I would have protested as loudly as I have about the other things you know about.

Can we have them split up please - 3 boards - Hardware, Windows Software, Mac/Linux Software as it was.

Anotherone
Champion

@VileReynard I don't think creating a Tag MINUSNET was a clever idea. Tags can be very useful, but if the feature is misused, I've no doubt they will get turned off to the detriment of everyone. I'd be obliged if you'd delete it.

VileReynard
Hero

I haven't a clue what a tag is meant for, so I abused it.Funny

I'll delete it.Evil

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The board structure isn't my decision to make but I'll ensure the feedback is heard Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

@bobpullen I counted around 96 threads on the old Linux board that were posted in since the start of 2015 and it would be extremely difficult to locate them all from this mix.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'm not a Linux or Mac user, but I do see the need to have a separate board as in the old Forum.  I do recall the discussions before the need was established, so I do hope the decision to re-establish the board is not too long delayed.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

The sooner the old posts are added to a new Linux forum, the less confusion will be caused.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Anotherone wrote:

@bobpullen I counted around 96 threads on the old Linux board that were posted in since the start of 2015 and it would be extremely difficult to locate them all from this mix.

and some other boards are giving much lower post count numbers... yet deemed to be "in their own right" to be counted as separate boards....

Latest PlusNet News ...................... Nil

Service Status .................................SIX

My Order.........................................Nil

My Router ..................................... 17 ( surely this is a Hardware subject  ? ? ? ? )

Introductions.....................................63   ( Is this really necessary, compared to the number of customers, and the number of readers of the old Linux/Mac Board  ? )  

Anotherone
Champion

Don't be daft, of course the first 3 in your list have few posts as yet and obviously they have to be separate!

My Router should have been renamed, there has been argument about that, it is specifically for Plusnet Modem / Routers. It's a new board so that the problems that are currently scattered about on the ADSL and Fibre boards will no longer be so. Other brands of "Router" will be in Hardware.

Introductions is a "nice idea" to try and make it seem a more friendly place. Some of us thought it really wasn't needed, but it there for those that want it, I have no objection.