Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Names of forums

FIXED
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Names of forums

I have just been embarrassed by being told I should have posted in Fibre Broadband rather than Broadband, which was perfectly true.  But to me Broadband is the generic term that includes fibre and adsl, so having spotted that I didn't look down the list further.   Kind of like having a forum called "Fruit" with one called "Apples" further down the list, and mistakenly posting about apples in the fruit forum.  Consider changing name of "Broadband" forum to "ADSL" or "Non-fibre Broadband" ?  

27 REPLIES 27
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Names of forums

Good suggestion, @IngeJones - you are certainly not the first FTTC customer to have fallen for that - although (and I'm not being funny here), it does help to read all the board headers.

John
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Yes I could have been more thorough myself, that's partly why I was embarrassed, I am usually good about that sort of thing.  But it would be nice if it was even easier to avoid the mistake, no one enjoys finding they made a faux pas accidentally.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

No need to be embarrassed about that.....look at the number of posts in chat that get moved to a more appropriate topic.

After all it keeps the moderators busy !

SmileySmiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Legend

@gleneagles It actually suggests to me that a lot of people are too lazy to be bothered to post in the correct board in the first place Knuppel

John
jab1
Legend

Another suggestion for @jaread83 ?

John
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@jab1

I agree with you but there are times when there might be a degree of confusion about there to put a post.

For example say you wished to have a discussion about fibre and included in your post some problem you had, and posted that in chat, and it was then moved to the fibre section but you intention was to have a general discussion rather than focus on say a past problem and as chat has ( or used to have) a higher number of customers responding to posts in chat you would be more likely to get a greater response to your post ?

Could that also be the reason why some people put inappropriate topics in chat knowing that more people will see them ?

However as said in my first sentence I agree with you that some people are lazy

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Don't feel too bad @IngeJones. It keeps us off the streets Wink

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

There has been some discussion about merging both the ADSL and Fibre boards together but it was decided to keep them seperated. It has been said that most community members who like to help with advising others about issues have said that it helps cut out the 'what kind of connection' question that will generally always be asked at the start of those threads.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 I was aware of the (IMO silly) suggestion to merge the boards, but what @IngeJones and I are suggesting is that the 'Broadband' board is renamed 'ADSL Broadband' to try and help those posters who think it covers both technologies to realise that it should only be used for ADSL.

John
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

@jaread83 Thanks for the reply, but I think you have misread my post.  I totally agree with you they should not be merged.  I was suggesting a simple renaming of the one that is called "Broadband" to make it much plainer that it is not to include Fibre Broadband posts.  I think if you read my post again it will become clearer.  I know as admin you have to read so many posts it must be necessary to try and scan each one as quickly as possible Smiley

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Apologies @IngeJones, I see what you mean now. and @jab1 is correct too, we did talk about merging both at one point too. I agree that the title could be tweeked a little to be clearer but it would need to go through our Community manager @JonoH.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
Legend

OK, @jaread83 any chance you could have a word with him, please.

John
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi Smiley Sorry I've been away for a couple of days.

It's no secret that I'm less than convinced about the current naming convention. I'm not sure for example if customers even know what access technology they're on and I'm as Fibre is now much more popular than it was when the boards were named our staff are now all trained to support either access technology.

We've only maintained both boards instead of merging them as people seem to prefer it that way and the mods are happy to move the rogue posts from one to the other. 

I'm happy to consider renaming the board but I'm not sure many customers will know what ADSL is.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

@JonoH  So name it "Non-Fibre Broadband".  Anyone who knows what Fibre Broadband is will definitely know what Non-Fibre Broadband is.   Like my example forums Fruit and Apples.  If they see the Fruit forum first they probably won't go on reading the forum list to find Apples, since they will assume all Fruit posts go in Fruit.  But if the Fruit forum is renamed to Non-apple Fruits then they will know to go on looking for the right place for apples.    If you really can't bring yourself to rename the forum then change the order of them so that one sees Fibre Broadband first, then you'll know to go on looking for the other one if you don't have fibre.   The problem with simply relying on moving posts in the wrong section is what happened to me when someone moved my post - I had written a long diagnostic reply to someone trying to help me, and the whole thing got lost on submission as the thread wasn't there any longer.  I mean... surely it's quicker to rename a forum once than move threads many times?