cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logout warnings

colintivy
Rising Star

Logout warnings

I do not know if others have been caught out when writing longish posts or replies to posts, but does anyone think that some sort of indication of valid logging time could be devised to warn one of imminent dropping out? It is possible to give warnings of an incoming post which could affect the text under construction, so why not a -5 minute bell or something. Currently, if I feel the need, I just log in for ever and remember to log out when finished which is a bit of an overkill.
Roll_eyes
9 REPLIES 9
CliffTopp
Dabbler

Re: Logout warnings

I do so second this.  Never having been someone who can use just 2 words where 25 will do quite adequately thank you very much! yet being someone who has to think long and hard about each and every word used to make sure it carries the right import, I am often caught out by expiry times.  There was a time when, every support ticket I raised, possibly having spent an hour carefully wording a long and complicated issue/response I would then face exasperation in having wasted every moment by a thoughtless pressing of the send button and being faced with the login screen.  They have resolved that issue over there now and unsaved entries are stored throughout the re-login process.  Surely whoever rewrote the script on that page can do the same for the one behind updating forum pages???
However this problem is fixed, whether through a pop-up, by using a temporary store for unsaved data or any other method please, please do fix this.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If I'm typing a long post I sometimes (when I remember) highlight all the text and press <ctrl-c> to copy to the clipboard before clicking the 'post' button, if it fails I can then simply paste the text in and click 'post' again.  Saves retyping.  If it wasn't broken I'd not have to do this but it does help until it gets fixed.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CliffTopp
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
(when I remember)

There's the rub  Tongue
I usually remember right after I press the send button
w23
Pro

Yep, have to admit, I often do that too.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ditto, the last bit. But as far as logging in/out goes, I login permanently and don't bother logging out - unless I want to sneak back incognito  Shocked
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Anotherone
unless I want to sneak back incognito  Shocked

I use a different browser to do that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

snap  Lips_are_sealed
w23
Pro

I never resort to such underhanded tactics, honest!
Call me 'w23'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You mean you expect me to use IE or that other browser from that lot that already knows too much about my browsing & searches  Roll_eyes