cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line between posts?

BurntToast
Grafter

Line between posts?

Usually on forums there is some clear delineation between posts but on this forum there isn't so it's very difficult to see where one post ends and the next starts.  Can there not be some firm bold line between posts?

(And please don't tell me it's not difficult just because you have better eyesight than me!)

20 REPLIES 20
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Line between posts?

What about the reply and thanks buttons, they seem to separate the posts pretty well?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi @BurntToast,

Thanks for the feedback. As @dvorak mentions the buttons do form a line but there is actually a dotted grey border at the bottom of every post. I think the lack of a line at the top of each post may be causing an issue here?

I understand that there is a lot of variation between peoples eyes and monitor configurations - have you considered trying out my high contrast community theme? It works for Firefox and Chrome browsers only (not sure if there is an Edge/Internet Explorer alternative) but there has been some positive feedback on it. You can get the high contrast theme from my post here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/User-created-community-themes/m-p/1329609#U132...

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I didn't notice the lines until you mentioned them.

They are so faint they might just as well not be there.

Which is just as well as there seems far too many of them.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@billnotben wrote:

I didn't notice the lines until you mentioned them. 

... nor me : / 

just clicked through to this post from the e-mail notification, and the blue borders round it highlight the post really well.

would it not (maybe) be possible to have similar-weight dark grey borders round all posts (ie round all four sides), just keeping the bright blue for the highlighted-post, each time?

having a clearly-visible border around each post might also help the pages look a bit less "empty" - ie still spaced-out, but better *defined*.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

To add my 2p.  I've not had any difficulty with seeing the boundary between posts, but I'd not noticed the lines either.  However I do support Penny's suggestion in the previous post - anything that improves the readability for the visually impaired should be welcomed.

Optimistically this is a relatively small 'skinning' change.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I find the 'break lines' between posts (also between title and post / post and signature) quite clear - I suspect monitor brightness / contrast settings may be a significant factor here, what I particularly notice, though, is that the lines are all made from a chain of dots, converting the one between posts to a continuous line may be all that's needed (if it's simple enough) to make it a lot more visible.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I have added this to my list of possible enhancements and referenced this thread as I qould like to experiment with some of these ideas of either using the blue border style (but a darker colour) for normal posts or making a clearer line at the bottom of posts. This type of change would need me to speak to the design team.

I am open to new ideas that will make things clearer.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given the amount of garbage between the posts I have no trouble separating them

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes Jim Thumbs_Up

Must admit i see the dotted line separation but would be better if they were more defined

also i would like to see smaller buttons , all the pink squares are way too big .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I don't want to see any more lines of any description until some of the blank ones are got rid of Tongue

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Unfortunately Anotherone , i believe  at present rate of fixes its going to be some time before the Blank spaces are sorted Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
billnotben
Community Veteran

When ebay's community site moved I thought the new layout was pretty appalling compared to the original. But at the end of the day it's only a forum so it's a case of live with it.

That said their forums clear defined separation of posts and the smaller button size puts them streets ahead of this one.

Bad as it is I would much prefer a layout like theirs.

Take a look yourself and see what you think.

Random community page link

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Don't like it overall - but the plus points are

• It's not full of the same unnecessary space - but we have Plusnet's Corporate Styling policy to blame for ours Roll_eyes
  • The Buttons are smaller - but again it's Plusnet's Corporate Styling policy to blame for ours again!

The minus points are -

• Text is too small
  • Title text is too dark and too large - where have we seen that beforeRoll_eyes
  • Unnecessary space which seems determined by allowance for signatures and size of content within Username/Avatar area.
  • No tags
billnotben
Community Veteran

@Anotherone wrote:

Don't like it overall

As I said it's appalling.

ebay forum plusnet forum all degrees of appalling