Did you mean: 

Is General Chat going to return?

FIXED
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Is General Chat going to return?

Yes we do!

However I note that you as moderator thanked Laegens post even though he was a frequent user of the forum and moaning because he was forced to visit and use it.

I don't get you guys. You publicly thank someone like that but deny any such plot to close it down.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@PowerLee 

For fine, read mind-numbingly boring.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@PowerLee Some of us who are not techies used to enjoy the non techie subjects in GC and would like to see it back as promised! If it doesnt come back like PlusnetTV going it is one more reason to leave Plusnet<

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

There's much more to everyday life then the loss of the General Chat section of the Plusnet forum.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

To you yes.

But there are a few of us here who still enjoy it.

Oddly however you seem to have that very familiar attitude towards GC as the regular trolls that were frequenting it. It's almost as if you wanted it gone - just like Laegen - even though we'd rarely see you take part in it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Legend

@PowerLee 

"There's much more to everyday life then the loss of the General Chat section of the Plusnet forum"

Indeed there is, yet here you are discussing it. 🤔

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@7up wrote:
You publicly thank someone like that but deny any such plot to close it down.

We have no reason to plot. If we wanted to close it, forever. We would.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@7up wrote:

Oddly however you seem to have that very familiar attitude towards GC as the regular trolls that were frequenting it. It's almost as if you wanted it gone - just like Laegen - even though we'd rarely see you take part in it.

One of the reasons I dislike chat is because people get so hostile and accusatory. Posts like this don't make me rush to turn it back on.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Minivanman
Legend

@JonoH 

Fair enough, but you have to agree that certain moderators know exactly who causes the hostility, yet they fail miserably either through laziness or, to what seems to many myself included, as some sort of co-conspiracy. It has become so warped as to consider if the trolls, retreads and mods are one and the same because if not, they are most certainly wearing the same hat.

General Chats on all forums like this need to be looked after in a firm and fair way and that clearly has not been happening - and that is not the fault of the posters, but of your team who are far to quick to lock down a topic and walk away. That is not moderating.

It's like having a garden and not wanting to look after it by pulling up the identified weeds that creep in.

If you want to have a General Chat then fine, but it needs looking after properly and if not, then again fine, just shut it down permanently rather than [-Censored-] footing around with it in a non-committal way because all this 'might come back, might not come back' smacks of ineptitude.

Doing nothing is not an option.

Herman Melville
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@PowerLee wrote:

Do we really need a General Chat section as part of an internet service providers help forum? 

Not necessarily need, but it's part of Plusnet's community forum, where we can let off steam, have a laugh and a chat, and discuss tech topics beyond the realm of broadband and phone.

I look forward to its return, but there's no compulsion if it's not to your liking.  😉

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

@7up wrote:

To you yes.

But there are a few of us here who still enjoy it.

Dropped in & out the General Chat section in the past, read a few posts, see its a uninviting & bitchy place with people sniping at each other, so pretty pointless posting there.

Digital Spy got rid of General Chat due to all the trouble caused, AV forums is now heavily policing there's - does an internet service provider really need the hassle or possible damage to its corporate image by having a General Chat section on its own forum?

Minivanman
Legend

@PowerLee 

So let's close down all company forums, after all "it does damage to it's corporate image" by having contributors complain about their products and services.

As for being "uninviting, bitchy and sniping" I'm pretty sure we can find a record of your own posts to confirm that opinion.

There are more forums corporate and otherwise that have versions of General Chat than do not managing well enough - and those that don't are about as interesting as a broken toaster. 

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@JonoH 

Although I agree with some of the views expressed about certain people and I don't personally subscribe to any conspiracy theories regarding closing of General Chat, I do find it strange that one of the chief proponents for its closure is such a hypocritical contradictory character.

It'd be pointless me trying to show evidence or make individual comparisons of posts from that person to support that view as almost all posts from that person are now hidden from the sight of us plebs due to the locking of GC.

But who needs to show that anyway because those posts are conspicuous by their absence and make my point all the more obvious.  Examination of Lægen's profile reveals that in total he's made 457 posts under that identity, yet only 8 are presently visible, with those 8 consisting of 1 post in this thread and the other 7 are in another thread entitled "General Chat" on this board.  Roll_eyes

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/76969

It doesn't take a genius to work out that the remaining 449 posts are hidden in General Chat!

And surprise surprise, it should now be obvious to even his most ardent supporter (no names mentioned) that he has only ever posted in or about General Chat - i.e. not a single post in another board!  Roll_eyes

It's very strange how he's hoping for a bit of peace and quiet from GC when much of the noise was caused by him!  Huh

@PowerLee wrote:

Dropped in & out the General Chat section in the past ...

@PowerLee 

As others have said, it's not compulsory to use GC, despite the fact that as demonstrated above it's the only part of the PN forum that Lægen has previously ever participated in, so going by your quoted statement perhaps allowances should be made for your uninformed support of someone who has had serial identities posting the same pointless topics over and again (only in General Chat and not participating anywhere else), sometimes even copy/pasting stuff from posts he made 2-3 years ago under one of those identities.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, some people on here seem determined to confirm @JonoH’s point about people becoming hostile and accusatory. Oddly, these are the very people who think General Chat should remain part of the forum.

Several years ago, I was a Plusnet customer and member of the community. I sometimes posted in General Chat, but left because of the nasty attitude of some members, and the fact that others backed them up in their attacks on others by giving ‘thanks’, although I have continued to follow goings on here to see how it all turned out. Those who drove me out are the very same people - a mere handful or two of the many plusnet customers - who are now so vociferously claiming that General Chat should return, although as far as I can gather one of the most vociferous is no longer a Plusnet customer. 

It is clear from the comments on this and the other threads, that they feel the best way to achieve what they want is to openly criticise one of the moderators, and to continue with calling people who dare to disagree with them ‘trolls’, and to continue their personal attacks on another forum member. The use of the term ‘retreads’ to describe those who (quite legitimately) return to the forum, is a good example of the sort of nastiness that bubbles along underneath the surface. Not quite an offensive term, but calculated to be depersonalising and to separate some members as being somehow undesirable. That is why I have chosen my new username - to highlight that as an issue. Elsewhere on this thread, some members are categorised as ‘weeds’ - again a most unpleasant analogy.

The little clique currently pushing here for the reinstatement of general chat while continuing the attack on others is behaving in a way that is reminiscent of four year olds. To my mind, @JonoH  and the moderators have been more than generous with their warnings, but you have not heeded those warnings, and if it were up to me General Chat would most definitely be gone forever. After all, you reap what you sow.

Don’t, as they say on Twitter, @ me.

R. E. Tread.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@JonoH 

I'd suggest a large pinch of salt with the preceding post.