cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indicate user has contributed in topic title.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Indicate user has contributed in topic title.

On the topics page, there's no indication as to whether I've contributed to a topic (thread).

Or am I missing something here. Undecided

I find this very useful on other forums and I seem to remember there was some indication of this in the old forum. Is there any way a small marker can be added to a topic title to indicate, to the user, if  he has posted in that thread.

23 REPLIES 23
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Indicate user has contributed in topic title.

The only section that I know of that has something like this is the unread thread/post pages. On the left side you will see either a gray icon (default), red icon (hot topic) or a speech bubble with a little arrow (indicates you have participated).

There is currently no option to switch this on for the board levels though. I can investigate this further and see if there is anything I can do to bring this in. I have added this to my enhancement list to look at further.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

npr
Pro

Thanks, that only seems to be the case for unread topics. In unread posts all the icon bubbles are the default grey.

Would be nice if the "little arrow" could be used in all topic titles.

I'll try changing the way I use the forum and see if I can make use of unread topics.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay no problem. I know that this new system can be a bit of a culture shock to a lot of you guys and I am trying my best to improve upon as many things as possible. I have posted on the product forums about what you have asked and also noted it down on my enhancement list so I don't forget Smiley

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

npr
Pro

Just tried the BT Lithium forum. They have a little arrow against the speech bubble if you've contributed to that topic.
The difference here is this forum shows the OP's avatar in the topic title. BT's forum shows a speech bubble in the title.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And that's not the only Lithium Forum that has things that we want, and some from the outset Angry
See messages 49 & 50

npr
Pro

Just to give an example of what I'm on about. Wink

The little black arrows in the thread icon indicate the threads to which I've contributed.

forum.png

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is that the BT forum? We have contact with the community team over at BT so I could ask how they acheived that. It could be a replacement of the avatars on the board level with icons but I would need to check.

npr
Pro

Yes it's BT's Lithium forum. Cool

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

excellent. I have made a note on the enhancement list to get in touch with their team and look into swapping out the avatars with icons and see what we can do with it.

npr
Pro

Great, hope this works out. Thumbs_Up

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@npr, just to be a 'little devilish/pedantic', shouldn't this discussion be about whether a user has posted in a topic rather than contributed, I certainly don't think Lithium's software is advanced enough to determine whether a particular post actually contributes anything to a particular discussion. Wink

[I'd get my coat now but the weather's warm and I didn't bring one]

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
npr
Pro

I like to think every post is a contribution. Angel

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Some people's certainly are but we probably all know someone.... Lips_are_sealed

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

isn't 'posted' and 'contributed' the same thing? From a system point of view, there is no difference and I don't think clicking the 'thanks' button counts as contributing to a thread.

At least I can see that there is a way to change the icons to have more meaning and be more like a traditional forum where there is an icon for the discussion. We will be looking into it and seeing what we can do with this. I have saved the link for this thread in our enhancement list so please feel free to discuss this here.