cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

11 weeks later and they still don't know the cause, and they wrote the software! Crazy2

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This may be relevant

Just looked at my posts and saw this

2016-07-05_105540.jpg

But looking at unread posts and unread topics neither shows up

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

An interesting spot Jim. 

In all the cases that I've reported I've also checked the forum as well as unread topics / posts and not seen any highlighted posts such as you've recorded.

Perhaps they are using the fundamentally flawed 'search?' engine within their code ?  GrinFunny

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought this issue had been fixed or have I missed something? If you look at this image you'll see that there is clearly still an issue with this. This screen grab was taken as 15:56:49 today most odd!

Weird!

Considering I've replied to the post I've obviously read it and why would I need to ready my own posts!

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I don't recall notification for a "fix",  if anything it's become worse!  Quite often now I see a count like 79 (high for the thread) but when I go to the thread there may only be a few unread topics with 15 or so posts?

Little perceived value in bothering to report this new trend when so little visible effort has been put into resolving the original problem.

It's now not a feature I rely on as being accurate, so much so that if it were an option in 'preferences' I'd switch it off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have seen that a few times and it may be due to the mods moving it as, having done that, it shows up as unread

Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be wrong but I don't think this (these) posts were moved as there's no 'truck' icon saying that they were, nor have I been informed of such a move, assuming there is notification.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I agree that there was no obvious move so I wonder if the mods in there wish to confuse us all are not putting one there

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just noticed that clicking on a new topics item and instead of taking me to the last unread post it takes me to the first reply which is not how it worked on all the rest of the links

Edited for clarity

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

That is how the new topics module works im afraid. You can click on the post on the right to go to the latest post though.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

No it isn't when you have selected - go to the first unread post in the settings - just to add as my earlier post wasn't too clear this only happened in the one thread as otherwise it works as it should

2016-07-19_085430.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has shown up again!

Oops!

I have of course read the original post in order to reply and why would I want to read my own post?

MauriceC
Resting Legend

This problem still appears to be not fixed!

In the Community Site Feedback board I have for the last few days had an 'unread' post count of 1 showing despite having read ALL of the posts and there being no recent traffic on that board.

Just to confuse matters:  On some Login occasions the count is Zero, but on a subsequent login its back to 1 again.

Did Lithium ever get back with the results of their earlier investigations?

Maurice

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Apparently No!  Which is one of the reasons I have dropped out of here - sick of working with a broken product sold as being the best in the market place, which the best in the market place appear to be incapable of fixing.

In Louise's words #blameliam

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the first three months of this new forum I had terrible trouble using this new platform - with dire speed issues, broken functionality, and time and again losing my replies.

Having been on the previous two forums for something like 12+ years, and feeling part of the community,  I was determined to help (along with everyone else) to get it working again, so I persisted,  spent hundreds of hours reproducing and documenting dozens of things which needed fixing.

However, after about three months of providing solutions, submitting browser traces, Wireshark files, and asking for specific changes which I knew would make a difference,  it became apparent that nobody was listening, nothing was being done, Lithium were blamed for everything, and Jack seems incapable of  understanding simple networking concepts and how they relate to website design and the huge impact that has on customers like me who have a low speed high latency broadband connection.

This broken forum was wasting so much of my time, because the effort to reply to anything took ten times longer than previously, and the fact that I STILL have to compose replies in an external text editor and paste them into the HTML tab (because the RICH TEXT editor just doesn't work),  that I decided to take a summer break from participating - in the hope that after say six months, some of my fault reports will have been implemented.

For four months I stayed away, but one day I saw an email from a forum member (who I have a lot of time for) who was asking for help,  so I thought perhaps I will help him out and see whether the forum was now in a usable state.

I was immediately dismayed to discover @jaread83 seems to have lost his list of things he was going to get Lithium to fix, as NOTHING which affects me has been solved - AFTER SIX [-Censored-] MONTHS !.

The other telling thing is @jaread83 has done absolutely nothing to fix my 11 to 22 second forum page loading time problem, despite me having provided all manner of technical information and suggestions for him to work with - which would make this site dramatically faster for everyone.

Then the first time I go to report a new problem for Jack to investigate, I get a response to the effect that it's not his responsibility to fault find my router configuration (because I have a setup which he clearly doesn't have clue about) and somehow a Lithium fault which crashes my browser session (just by pressing the PREVIEW tab while in the HTML editor) is somehow down to my equipment (NOT!).  Then just to put icing on the cake, Jack's accompanying speculative "technical" guess as to what happened, suggests a problem which would not have been possible if he had actually implemented the very first suggestion that I had made when I first logged into this new forum all those months ago and saw what a pigs ear this new platform was.

So like @Townman, I am sick of this mess, and I don't know what to do about it.

• If I disappear and come back, all my significant previous efforts get forgotten.
  • If I disappear completely, then I'm losing some good friends who I enjoy helping out.
  • If I complain I get Chris and Bob telling me that Jack has done a great job - ON WHAT ?
  • If I keep reporting stuff, it gets ignored, or that somehow it's my fault.
  • If I try constructive solutions, the pathetic answer is "we don't have access to Lithium code".
  • If I ask Jack, well it's apparent that he really doesn't understand anything technical.
  • If I ask, who other than Jack can I have a technical discussion with, no reply EVER comes.

I want to stay, because I've made a lot of friends, and I enjoy finding technical solutions to other customer's problems, and until recently I felt like a valued member of this community.

So I'm left considering my options, as like many other long time forum members who now barely make an appearance, I'm now really struggling to find any enthusiasm to continue.

I want to know, is Plusnet committed to getting this forum working in the near future, and are they going to employ web design staff who know more than [-Censored-] ?

And just for the record, just while I was composing this reply, thirteen different things went wrong with the forum editor, and I lost everything twice,  and I now have an authentication error, preview has permanently failed, and pressing POST resulted in this reply being rejected and the forum landing page seemed to be a random destination !. 

BobPullen recently said "I can tell you are frustrated" YES and I'm even more frustrated and angry now, when all I want to do is try and compose a constructive reply, when your damn forum errors and crashes every few minutes, and there is nothing left that I can do about it, and the useless forum designers do sweet F.A.

Why is there nobody from Plusnet taking control of this project ?,  nobody seems to be in charge,  nobody is taking responsibility,  nobody is maintaining visibility of (any) progress being made,  nobody seems to be holding Lithium to account,  and Jack is our only contact - doesn't understand what is going on, goes around blaming everyone else, and doesn't actually fix anything satisfactorily.

@@@@jaread83 and the other apparently anonymous so-called "designers", get your act together and PLEASE fix this forum

I'm sure the moderators are going to have a great time reading this,  but somebody needs to stand up and point out that something needs to change - as the the current forum team has failed.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.