Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Perhaps it's been added in as 'Treasure Hunt' games feature.  Funny

More seriously, I've got a growing concern about the number of 'unresolved' issues (not 'bugs' until Plusnet accept them in a list?) and the willingness / confidence that Lithium will address them in a reasonable timescale.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

My suspicion is, it has something to do with this Spam trap rather than a bug, but we'll see.

Anotherone
Champion

Well as of this moment I have 6 Unread posts on Plusnet Feedback and 1 on Community Site Feedback that I can't account for. I have read everything.

@Chris @HarryB can you please shed some light on this. Are there unread posts sat in the Spam trap or otherwise hidden? I have asked elsewhere but getting no response from the mods or admins that has been of any help whatsoever.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Honestly, I'm not sure what would be causing this. There are message in the spam trap, but they are actual spam rather than real ones.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

But does the number in the spam trap match the numbers we are reporting @Chris?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I can see 33 in the trap currently.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

How many are "unread" status @Strat?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Unless I'm mistaken either there doesn't appear to be a read/unread status or they are all one or the other.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Had another instance of the symptoms reported in message #35.

Forum count = 3 but nothing highlighted in Board: nothing showing in either Unread Topics or Unread Posts.

New posts show up in notifications and add to the count, read the new post and count decremented.  Left overnight and most of today the went to Topic (This one!)~ and marked all posts as read.  Back to zero again.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Ok everyone, a bit of an update on this problem. The mysterious counts are undoubtedly - in part at least, if not wholly - due to the Spam Trap. It does not move the posts apparently, it just hides them from view - except to those who have the relevant permissions - ie mods & Admin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a case of deja vu here, did I not question this in message 14?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Anotherone wrote:

due to the Spam Trap. It does not move the posts apparently, it just hides them from view - except to those who have the relevant permissions - ie mods & Admin.

It moves the post out of the thread and in to Spam Quarantine. Releasing the comment from there will put it as the reply number it would have been had it not been moved to Spam Quarantine.

We wouldn't see a spam message while scrolling through a thread unless someone had already released it from Spam Quarantine.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend

OK.  So lithium now understand WHY it happens.

Next question.  WHAT do they propose doing about it and WHEN?

Not a trivial task maybe, but neither should it be too complex to code.

M

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Have I missed something? @MauriceC Why does this happen? I don't believe Anotherone's comments re: spam quarantine are accurate Huh

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Of the two opinions given, I perceive more logic in the explanation given by @Anotherone.   'Hiding' the message from view by User permissions is simple, as is making the suspect message appear in the quarantine folder for review / removal.  Once released a couple of flag changes and the job is done and dusted.

Actually moving the message to a new location creates a much bigger task in re-inserting the message back into position in the thread once released from quarantine?

Can we have some clarity on the actual response from Lithium please.

M