Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvments

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Improvments

Having just sent a PM to a correspondent. I notice the "Subject" box can no longer be left blank.

Why?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Improvments

That's good isn't it? As it will give context to the message and make finding it later easier assuming of course that the subject line matches the message body!

petlew
Pro

Uhmm!! I've managed to survive for the last nine years without heading my PM's, with no problems whatsoever. (and the vast majority sent to me didn't have them either, not caused a problem for me)

I headed the one I've just sent "It seems this box can no longer be left blank"

Should make it easy to find when the times comes I suppose.

In my Thunderbird email, I'm given the choice to send with or without a header.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I find it really annoying when people send me PMs without a subject. So good job as is.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew - And I have no doubt you could survive another 9 without it. I guess it's a matter of taste but for me like @Anotherone I find it annoying to say the least and more so in emails, so much so that I have a filter to send anything without a subject to the bit bucket.

petlew
Pro

I think its possible we are at cross purposes here. There's a deal of difference between emails to companies or of other importance, and, a "personal" message between friends, where knowing who its from frequently doesn't need a subject to identify it.

Of course, if I send emails where an identification of subject is important, of course I use them where required. I just found it odd that PN forum PM's are now required (without the choice) to have a header, and won't send without one.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Hmmm, an interesting point of view.

It's never crossed my mind to send any communication without a subject line. Will PN PMs accept a space or a dash?

Anyway, more importantly, are you ready for the new outdoor bowls season? We had a terrific thunderstorm last night, so I'm hoping the green will be OK tomorrow.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anonymous
Not applicable

No crossed purposes at all, I know you are referring to Plusnet's PMs, as was I, but I still feel that sending any message without some form of context is wrong. Don't get me wrong, I have done it in the past but to be honest I'm glad I can't do it again.

My point about my email filter was really, if you (the sender) can't be bothered typing a subject line I'm not going to bother reading it. Some may consider this petty, but in this day and age an email without a subject line rings bells in my head regardless of who is sending it. It may well come from an account of someone I know, but that does not mean they sent it.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Given the raft of real issues around here, this does not have a lot of merit.  What's the issue with needing to enter a title for the message - if you can't think of anything relevant, why not just type "Hello"?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No real cross-purposes here either. PMs were referred to, and Mook extended it to e-mails and I agree with him for both. Just put a . or a - in the subject box if you don't want to put in a subject/title !