Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imbalance between thread title length

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Imbalance between thread title length

I refer you to this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/How-long-does-a-credit-card-continuous-authority-keep-goi... where you can see that the copy of the titles above each post is truncated

12 REPLIES 12
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Imbalance between thread title length

I believe this was discussed on staging and ultimately deemed as not being a problem.

I'll drop you a PM with a link to the thread Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't think it was deemed not to be a problem more some of us wanted to junk having the thread title at the top of each post which didn't happen (can't remember why)

The thread over there was covering an extreme case where the thread title took up 3 lines and this has been stopped

On this site the longest permitted thread title is

How long does a credit card continuous authority keep going after a card is cancelled due to fraudul

which is truncated to

How long does a credit card continuous authority keep going after a card is cancelled due to fra

so not much difference and I can't see why it needs truncating

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

As it adds in "Re :" These 4 characters including the space cause the last letters of the title to drop off.

@jaread83 May be in a better position to provide an answer/reasoning on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I think it's a 'bug'  It is a known fact that adding "Re:" to the title will occur for each subsequent post, so it needs to be taken into account when checking the length of the original title?  Simple Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

There is no issue here guys. The title gets truncated on subsequent replies to avoid posts with overly long titles dominating the rest of the page. The original subject line will be displayed in its entirety which is fine, the other replies will show the truncated version to give you an indication of the OP title rather than display it in its full glory.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes there is

we are talking about truncating by a maximum of 3 -YES only three - letters because it adds Re: otherwise there is no change to the permitted title length in the opening post and subsequent posts

All that needs to be done is to add a three letter buffer between the original title field and the repeated title field

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Compared with the plethora of more important User I/F problems currently under investigation, this is just an 'annoyance'.  But it does look untidy and doesn't help make this Forum into the 'lovesome' beast that Marketing intended.  Park it for now?  But I guess it will reappear somewhere down track

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have made a note of this on our enhancement list to add a bit more of a buffer to titles being truncated but I warn you that this is an ever compounding problem and it will go on forever..

This could only be happening on subjects of a specific length so where do we draw the line with this? For one thread the last few characters are truncated but then if we make that buffer longer... what about thread titles that also reach that limitation again? Do we add even more buffer? Rinse, repeat, it will always come back until the point where we just completely remove the truncating of subject lines and then one cheeky user will post a thread with 100 characters (which is the current max length) and then all subsquent replies will have these unshortened titles.. then we are back to square one when we put the truncated subjects back in. See what I mean?

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Max_title_length == X   (includes Re: )

Max_OPtitle_length == X - 3

There has to be a limit somewhere.  Grin

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I wasn't suggesting that - at least I don't think I was - I was suggesting keeping the present title field length but increasing the repeated title field by 3 characters

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This issue will be moot as titles in subsequent replies will be removed in my next round of updates. @Oldjim, are you happy for me to close this one down as you have seen how this looks first hand on the staging site?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

yes - the upcoming change fixes it properly