cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought that excessive blank lines had been sorted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I thought that excessive blank lines had been sorted

This issue still remains however in some post that I've seen.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well a linky would be good Wink Because of the nature of the 'fix' it works retrospectively AFAIKS.

Anotherone
Champion

Ha, I tell you an issue that does remain and definitely need to be fixed @jaread83, and that is all the blanks lines that get removed from a post still remain in the notification email if you allow HTML and choose the 'Email content Subject and body'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone@jaread83 - Well I was looking for a link and I thought I found one, but on viewing the actual post the extra space is eliminated, but not when viewed via the unread posts page.

Blank Lines

However, if you actually read this post, it is as I've said, 'cleaned' up. As regards the email the 'removal' of the blank lines is only for cosmetic purposes while viewing and will remain in the original source, as they're not filtered out prior to submission but after on display.

Anotherone
Champion

I'm seriously beginning to believe that the "modules" that make up this forum are more "disjointed" that one might imagine.

Is this if you are viewing the <Show Full Text> of the post on the Unread Posts tab @Anonymous ? - That's what I find when looking at that.

I also found it when reading the OP there as well.

end of msg #1 in 'Upgrding To Fiber'' (& title of next message) in Unread Posts moduleend of msg #1 in 'Upgrding To Fiber'' (& title of next message) in Unread Posts module

As previously mentioned, Jack's script can only work on the post once posted, it can't intercept it between compilation and posting. So I'm guessing that the script is only applied to posts on boards? and maybe not to the other 'modules'? Something perhaps only Jack can advise.
However that doesn't appear to be the only issue. As the thread has been marked as Fixed, the relevant "Go to the Fix" has been added to the OP, but clearly this is done before Jack's script gets to it and so all the space now remains in the post.

end of OP of 'Upgrding To Fiber' after Fix message appliedend of OP of 'Upgrding To Fiber' after Fix message applied

Whether or not Jack's script can either intercept the message before the Fix message is applied (which I doubt) or perhaps he could modify it to look for a 'Fix' message and then look for the blank lines before it.

Certainly an interesting one for @jaread83 to look at when he gets back from his break.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes @Anotherone that's what I see too. All of the redundant white space is present in the message in that view, but is trimmed (correctly, for me at least) when viewing the thread in its own right.

It would appear that the script does only exist for the displaying of messages as opposed to the preview in the unread section; but that's not to say it couldn't be included there, but that's one for @jaread83.

In an ideal world the empty space would never make it to the back end database and be trimmed at source as part of a pre-post function, but I don't think there is access to that component, at least not by Plusnet staff.

Anotherone
Champion

Mook wrote:

In an ideal world the empty space would never make it to the back end database and be trimmed at source as part of a pre-post function, but I don't think there is access to that component, at least not by Plusnet staff.

There isn't as Jack mentioned a while back. Clearly his fix should be applied by Lithium between post compilation and posting, but I doubt we'll ever see that, and there are more important things for them to fix IMHO.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I have made a note to include my script (or variation of) on the unread posts/threads page. It wont happen right away but can easily be fixed so I will get it scheduled in.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion

Anything you can do about the emails Jack?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

unfortunately no. As Mook said in another post, the content would need to be processed before it is stored in the database. The best I can do is make sure that posts are rendered correctly on the site.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.