cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve moderation.....

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: How to improve moderation.....

Not really.  If you wanted to refer to the last post from jelv in this thread simply start your message @jelv.  Simple, and stops the thread from getting cluttered.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The rule is there to avoid the problem of multi nested posts as you can see on other forums.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Think of it like a personal verbal conversation with someone.
You wouldn't repeat the last thing the other person said to you before responding.
Some of the forums I have visited where this rule is not applied can be very difficult to follow.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nadger
Rising Star

Moderating forums is often a thankless task so I think we should all be grateful for the time the mods put in on these forums.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: gstrickland
You then have to go back and grab the quoted text again.....where's the sense is this all?

No you don't - it takes seconds:
  • Put the cursor at the top of your post where the quote needs to be inserted.
  • Scroll down to the Topic Summary and find the post you want to quote.
  • Click Insert Quote at the right hand side of that post.
  • Click post again.
    I often end up modifying my post of my reply has gone to a new page and I think it needs a quote of the preceding for clarity (the one time this is allowed by the rules).
    Personally I hate forums where there is excessive quoting and you end up seeing the same text repeatedly and having to scroll down past it.
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    Steve
    Seasoned Pro

To be honest this forums moderators are exceptional compared to a few forums I have been on, On other forums some are power hungry, Its one of the things I like about this forum, The people are mostly friendly and the moderators help keep it that way.The clique is a myth and It needs busted. Its the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Maybe some members have a clique but certainly not the moderators.
    In all my time being here I have never had my wrists slapped. I have been PM by a moderator once about how I come across on the forum but was no wrists slapped as I never done anything wrong, I have seen some crazy people come on this forum ( Seriously ) and they are all giving a fair go. And usually its other members speaking their mind to the crazy ones but never ever moderators.
    Leave the forum If your not happy with how It Is run, No one will miss you. ( not directed at anyone in particular btw )
    If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    x47c
    Grafter

I agree with the earlier comments and in particular that moderation is a thankless task.....
    One question:
    Is everybody on the forum a Plusnet customer? ie, is it only open to plusnet users to post comments
    or are there some registered users who are not Plusnet customers in anyway - which might give ample opportunity for trolling
    It seems a general problem with forums everywhere that when there is a true professional/insider giving advice then invariably, before long someone who knows nothing about everything will come along and in effect tell the professional they know nothing and is an idiot.
    The expert will then shrug their shoulders and depart forever.
    There is one aviation technical sub-forum site where the 'expert' is a very well known very experienced test pilot and posts under his real name with his real profession quoted.  He is of a retired aged shall we say.  His posts are not often however they are beautifully written and highly detailed. Dare anyone come along to tell the test pilot he is a moron and the rest of the forum descends on the hapless individual suggesting they might just like spent their time looking up the qualifications and experience of the said individual.
    Steve
    Seasoned Pro

Quote from: x47c
    One question:
    Is everybody on the forum a Plusnet customer? ie, is it only open to plusnet users to post comments
    or are there some registered users who are not Plusnet customers in anyway - which might give ample opportunity for trolling
    I am an Ex Plusnet customer who still uses the forum as I have a referral who wont use forum for help and that Is where I come In.
    Oldjim
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 63

To enroll on the forum you have to have a valid Plusnet username and account.
    However once joined you don't get kicked off if you leave Plusnet
    Steve
    Seasoned Pro

Just to add,'Trolling' is something rarely seen here.
    Heloman
    Grafter

I wouldn't want to be a moderator even if I was paid for the job. It is indeed a thankless task!
    But I've read and occasionally participated in PN's forums for years, and I am full of admiration for them. I believe they do a difficult job very well.
    Thank you, guys.
    CJ
    Dabbler

Whilst I haven't been a member here long enough to form an objective opinion of the moderators, having read a number of threads I have formed the impression that some people are subjected to some rather disparaging comments, by other members, should they express their disatisfaction - almost as though it's been taken as a personal slight of some sort.
    I also noticed, within this thread, a post complaining about people's literacy skills - or lack of them. I wonder, should my husband post here, if he would be perceived as stupid because he's dyslexic and his grammar and spelling aren't always up to scratch?
    Amongst those posting here will be those who are disabled (and may not be able to use the keyboard as effectively as they would like to), the mentally ill, the elderly who may not have the technical aptitude of others etc.
    I don't wish to come across as being argumentative, but I do think a little kindness, patience and understanding go a long way.
    Strat
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 565

We do try to encourage kindness, patience and understanding as well as a family friendly forum.
    Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
    To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
    HPsauce
    Pro
    Fixes: 2

Quote from: CJ
    I wonder, should my husband post here, if he would be perceived as stupid because he's dyslexic

There is a regular here who is dyslexic and says so in his signature.
    If I recall correctly he commented about his dyslexia many moons ago and making it obvious was suggested, which he did to excellent effect.
    It seems to work well for him and we're not above making the odd well-meaning joke about it at times, especially when his comments are inadvertently hilarious.
    christmas
    Aspiring Pro

That's like saying, all those with a disablity make it very clear and we promise to only mock you're disability when you're not around.