cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the time limit on editing a post been changed?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Have the time limit on editing a post been changed?

@Townman 

With respect do you really think moderators have the time or inclination to produce the metrics you suggest?

This is not something we discussed over night but rather it has been an on-going issue we returned to many times. Both the other moderators have many years of experience on these boards while I have over 3 but have been an active member since 2002. We have not and will not make such changes lightly.

We monitor this thread and our discussions continue but do not yet see any of the alternatives offered  as being viable at this time.

I will reiterate that it was by request of the moderators that the edit time allowed was reduced and not any of the staff.

Edit: I never said discussions were deemed a waste of time by the moderators but by post #44 I, personally, thought too much time had then been wasted on it. 

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm fine with the 20 minute editing window, and there appears to be only a handful of people complaining about it.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Mav,

With respect do you really think moderators have the time or inclination to produce the metrics you suggest?

I do not know, but I suspect not - however having clearly asked the question (one way or another) three times … and then being asked if I thought it had not been done, gave rise to considering it might have been done.

This is not something we discussed over night but rather it has been an on-going issue we returned to many times.

This could have been stated at the beginning, along with some insight to the frequency with which it happens - for example 100's a month or two or three a quarter, rather than saying nothing at all.

We monitor this thread and our discussions continue but do not yet see any of the alternatives offered as being viable at this time.

I guess that depends on how viability is defined.  I think that viability (acceptability) is factored by the number of and detail of posts posted.  People writing occasional and / or very short posts will not see the issue so much.  It would have been helpful to have been able to discuss the alternatives, but there has been no engagement on the ideas put forward, beyond "we do not see what the issue is".  Lets be gentlemen about this and agree to disagree.

I guess it is PlusNet's bat and ball, so ultimately they make the decisions on how the game is played and it has become clear that there is no point seeking to explore this decision further.  I look forward to seeing how requests to tidy up posts (which cannot now be edited) are dealt with.

I never said discussions were deemed a waste of time by the moderators

Please accept my apologies for positioning a personal statement as being the collective opinion of all of the mods - that was an unfortunate mistake.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.