cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the time limit on editing a post been changed?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Has the time limit on editing a post been changed?

This post https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/What-happened-earlier/m-p/1626200#M15306 which I made a little before 9am today, I found I could not edit at a little before 4pm today.

That looks as though the time limit has been reduced to 6 hours.  Was it not 24 hours?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

77 REPLIES 77
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Have the time limit on editing a post been changed?

You may find the edit function is now in minutes.

Well, for me anyway.

I have mentioned this a day or three ago, but I was mid-edit and upon finishing I got an error message - something along the lines of 'time expired to edit'. It is mentioned somewhere on here...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had trouble editing a post earlier, I started the edit, added about ten words, clicked [Post], and got some warning that I'd exceeded the time available for edits - I can't have taken more than a minute from start to end.

As with many other problems with this forum, I couldn't be bothered to try again, and gave up.

Crazy

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Correction - it is not even 2 hours!! Cannot Amend my OP!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

So we have another unannounced 'improvement' to the forums! I get the distinct feeling 'Khoros' or whatever they call themselves today are taking PlusNet,and by association, their customers, for suckers.Ticked_off

John
DS
Seasoned Champion

Well I'm blaming Jack!! Maybe he left us with a parting gift...

Surely, 'improvements' should be either announced before they happen, or at least when they happen.

Or is this another 'billing' issue...? (maybe PN ain't paid their bill to Klitorus - no, I've merged Khoros and Lithium before anyone thinks otherwise)

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@DS wrote:

Well I'm blaming Jack!!

Sorry that's my fault, our moderators asked me if I'd lower the edit time and I just did it in a rush and failed to communicate it

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
DS
Seasoned Champion

Oh gawd, seeing double now!!

And the time is........?

(just so we know)

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

20 minutes

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
DS
Seasoned Champion

You may find the edit function is now in minutes

I thought it was in mins. Guess I need to more proo freadin gthen b efore ty ping the n a nd hitt ing po st

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH wrote:

20 minutes

Reduced from?

Is there a reason for making it so short?  A detailed post might take more than that to eliminate a hand full of typos, especially if being edited on a touch screen, which can be very devilish when trying to place the edit cursor if there are no cursor movement keys as on all iDevice keyboards.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Twenty minutes is way too short for some of the serious posts particularly if one is composing on-line in response to a topic.

OK I can cut'n'paste in a text editor - but it's just more faff.  Double that time and it might be all right, or is the longer term plan to make the forum more like the social media platforms with only simple question / response posts?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@MauriceC I hope your last question was tongue-in-cheek, because if that is the plan, then bye-bye forum.Crazy3

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@MauriceC wrote:

Twenty minutes is way too short for some of the serious posts particularly if one is composing on-line in response to a topic.

it doesn't matter how long you take to compose a post only.

The time for you to revisit and edit your post is 20 minutes.

There has been a marked increase of members returning and editing their posts to be meaningless or near to blank as possible, spoiling threads etc.

I don't see 20 minutes isn't long enough to re-read and correct a post if required.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav
Fixes: 515

Just to add to what @dvorak has stated;

Frequently those edited posts not only made all [further] replies meaningless but also meant removing entire threads thus unfair to those members that had taken the time to reply. This happened many times within 20 minutes of the OP.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still