Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum search feature requests

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forum search feature requests

On the "Advance search" page, can an additional search type be added,

where the results only show when ALL THE KEYWORDS are matched.

In addition, would it be possible to switch off the spelling auto-correction on the basic search ?

It is stupid entering exactly what you require, pressing search, only to find what you have typed has been auto-corrected to something irrelevant, then having to press the link to search for what you actually typed, and then still not getting the result which you know exists somewhere - which you can only find by going to Google and searching the forum with that !

Crazy2

17 REPLIES 17
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Forum search feature requests

We can't change how the search works unfortunately. I can certainly put the idea to Lithium to include this extra field in a future release of the software.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I agree with you on the auto-correct side of things, however in regards to the option for all the keywords, isn't that what 'With the exact phrase' does?

Advanced search.png

Or did you mean having the ability to enter multiple words and bring up threads that contain all the words, as opposed to an exact phrase?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I don't know what the "exact phrase" is that I'm looking for, in a old forum post that I made several years ago, I only know the keywords and numbers which I would have used to describe a technical issue that I'm trying to help Bob Pullen with.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If it's one of your own posts you can put your username into the left side to only bring back results from your own post history.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that sort of worked, but was still useless.

Doing what you said, I entered - "MyForumName  SearchKeyWord",

and what came back were indeed only my posts, but contained seven pages of results, of which only one contained my 'SearchKeyWord', and all the others were irrelevant.

Unfortunately the one correct result wasn't the historical result I was looking for - which I know does exist.

This is why I need this search to have a "Result contains ALL words" option !

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You don't need to put your username into the search bar. There is a username input on the left side of the advanced search page which will apply a filter to your search.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The whole search engine thing here is so clunky that it even makes our old SMF look good.

Various requests have been made -

• expand the 'By Location' as a default setting
  • turn off fuzzy search - when searching for exact words/phrases - ie if searching for "Questioning" not to return results for Question, Questions, Questionable, etc.

to name but two.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just going back to this point:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is stupid entering exactly what you require, pressing search, only to find what you have typed has been auto-corrected to something irrelevant, then having to press the link to search for what you actually typed

Me and Chris have been having a dig around the settings and found that we can disable the spell-check on the search bar. So we've now turned that off.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion

That'll be helpful thanks, I was going to comment that you can avoid the auto-correct if you are careful.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nice one on switching that off, should now give more accurate search results unless some users can't spell what they are looking for... what would be really helpful is that if a spelling error was detected, it would still search that phrase but also give a 'did you mean to search for <correct spelling>?'.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Maybe one for Lithium to consider?

EDIT: Unless it already does.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Worth submitting an idea to their ideas portal me thinks.

Anotherone
Champion

Hey, I can now search for DLM without it auto-correcting to Dr Wink

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Already seeing some improvement then!