Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum "Who's Online" is broken

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Forum "Who's Online" is broken

@NickBS Don't know how much of this topic you have read, but the initial issue has just occurred again -  see below

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 22-35-38 Plusnet Community.pngTimestamp 29/10/23 22.35.58

John
NickBS
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

thanks @jab1. I assume this was just displayed standard front end user view without any debugging/dev tools running?

NickBS
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Also a specific ask from Khoros on the ticket - if anyone can help when they see the issue again....

Hi Nick,

Good day! Adding to my last mail, it would be really helpful if you could also share a full screenshot of the window, when you notice the discrepancy with the two numbers.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

jab1
Legend

@NickBS wrote:

thanks @jab1. I assume this was just displayed standard front end user view without any debugging/dev tools running?

Yes, this was just a normal - I don't generally have any debugging/dev tools active unless there is a specific need - who would?

I will do a full-screen shot next time I see an obvious mis-match.

John
jab1
Legend

@NickBS As requested:

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 09-22-56 Plusnet Community.png

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

Screenshot 2023-10-30 093049.png

This page show 15 users, but if you count below is 20

Screenshot 2023-10-30 093417.png

If you notice my profile is set to invisible

Mav
Fixes: 516

@Dan_the_Van 

I may be wrong here but I don't think other members have a way of knowing whether you are visible or not. Happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

Obviously, if you post and you are not showing in the Who's online list that's a dead giveaway!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend

@Mav Like Dan, I was set as 'show online status to no-one' - can't remember why I changed it from the default - but I was visible in the 'who's online' screen, on starting the laptop in the morning, but I then 'disappeared' after a time, possibly half an hour or so, despite still being online and using the forums, usually checking the posts made since I shut down for the night. I never log out of the forums.

I have reverted to the default, but still find myself deleted from that list after a while -  despite still being logged in, and periodically checking back.

The two screenshots above are what everyone sees if they check.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

@Mav 

with my profile set to invisible I won't expect to be see as being online by anyone, clearly it's not working. I pretty sure it did many years ago work. Like you I am one of the founder members of the forum so we've seen changes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Looking at the historical experience of the quality of this product … I would not be surprised if the functionality is displaying those who have the stealth mode setting … whilst hiding those having the standard setting.

I noted Dan’s comment that he is set to be hidden, but his on-line status (avatar) is plainly visible for all to see.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

As I said above, @Townman , until two days ago, I was also in 'stealth mode', but was visible for at least 30 minutes after switching on, then inexplicitly disappeared, despite still being online, and possibly still posting, if there had been a number of topics which I  needed to reply to. I am now not in 'stealth mode', but the same behaviour persists. Something (fairly recently) has changed, somewhere. I note that certain members seem to stay in the online list, even though they don't appear to be posting - such as the obvious 'spam' accounts from Bangkok &c..

John
jab1
Legend

as at 21.35.25as at 21.35.25

as at 09.50 07/08/23as at 09.50 07/08/23

as at 21.32.55

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If these are from the same time, note that the summary list and detailed list above show different users.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Idid - just hope @NickBS notes it too. This is becoming increasingly strange, to put it mildly.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Townman wrote:
Looking at the historical experience of the quality of this product … I would not be surprised if the functionality is displaying those who have the stealth mode setting … whilst hiding those having the standard setting.

I noted Dan’s comment that he is set to be hidden, but his on-line status (avatar) is plainly visible for all to see.

@NickBS 

Just to prove the point, I changed my setting to hide my on-line status from everyone.  Logged out, logged in again and lo and behold, I now appear in the who is on line report.  You just could not make this up - the so called "best forum providers in the industry" are a complete joke.  This technology stack has been problematic since day-one, the claimed benefits over the old technology (from a user perspective) do not seem to have been delivered.

It is very evident that the supplier's change control and systems testing are not fit for purpose!