Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum page change request

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Forum page change request

On the main Forum page there is the very useful feature allowing you to 'fold' the various lists of available boards.  I tend to keep a number of lists defaulted to folded to give me better focus on the boards I have an active interest in following.  This way of working does however have a downside in that there is no visible indication that one or more of the 'folded' boards has a new post.

To illustrate the point I'll use the 'News & Announcements' section.   This section has very little traffic so I default to 'folded', but when something is posted it usually needs to be read with some priority.

The simple change would be to change the colour of the arrow on the RHS from 'blue' to 'red' or alternatively add the 'red dot' used as an unread topic marker.

A more complicated change would add a count of unread items in the 'folded' boards, but that may be OTT?

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Forum page change request

Already requested in the beta forums and apparently it isn't possible

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

We discussed this in the beta stage with the test users. They asked for a 'X new posts' on the top level category which is a great idea but this is not something I am able to implement as it would require writing an entirely custom component for the forum boards as I can't update this standard component.

Alternatively, when you visit a board you can click the options menu and 'float this board to the top' and it will place that board above everything else independent of the structure.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 09.21.57.png

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks, but I already use the 'float a board' option to migrate a number of boards to the top!  But they still also appear in their natural place in the page hierarchy making an already crowded page more cumbersome to navigate?  It also doesn't address the issue I identified for sections that have low traffic but high priority when there is a new post.

A change suggestion to Lithium.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

For fear of sounding obstructive , i must say that all these settings folding and floating  whilst are great for the experienced users  here .

For a new poster its too much messing about ! i am all for a forum that is SIMPLE for anyone to use not just experienced people , i believe this forum is getting over complicated for a basic user to be able to comprehend !!!!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The collapsed board stuff is my own enhancement (javascript seperate from the structure) as all the boards were displayed in full before. The testers requested a way to collapse each board individually and that it would remember what was collapsed and open when returning. New users will see all boards as open and have the option to collapse any if they want.

I don't think its too much messing about really, you don't have to collapse boards but when you do it will remember the state for when you come back.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Surely you are not implying that the forum functionality should be dumbed down here?

Just because some users would not know how to or care to use some functionality is no reason for not making it available.  By the logic you reason, none of use should have computers at all! Funny

Implementing this request would only 'appear' to those who choose to use the rather obscure (not very visible) collapse sub-area button.  I do not think its quite the problem you understandably fear.

What is a real concern is that the clunkyness of what is here will (indeed has) put off a number of the experienced users spending as much time here as they did previously helping out - I suggest that is far more detrimental to the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Townman Smiley  yes your explanation was better than mine

What is a real concern is that the clunkyness of what is here will (indeed has) put off a number of the experienced users spending as much time here as they did previously helping out - I suggest that is far more detrimental to the community.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .