Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Rules re Quotes doesn't quite work

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Forum Rules re Quotes doesn't quite work

Yep @jaread83

I think it is just the case of using your own discretion. If it was a one or two line post, then fine. However if it was a longer post, you just have to cut out the bits you're not referring to.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Post by jaread83 on 17-08-2017 3:26 PM

Do you have the ability to create another button to go beside the Quote button when composing a reply which would insert a link similar to the one I've manually created on this post? If that could be done it would significantly reduce the need to quote at all (I am struggling think how the button would be labelled).

Note I've removed the _blank so it shouldn't open a new window.

Edit: Grrrr... Lithium put the target blank back in!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be a good thing but when the post in question is linked it could lose context if the original one is edited as a result of the post that links it. Having both options might be useful though.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I did for a short time consider suggesting replacing the Quote button, but sometimes when responding to a long post you might pick it apart and interleave responses to particular sections. As you say having both options would be good.

The issue with posts being edited after the response is posted wouldn't be new - that can happen now if both are on the same page with no quote allowed.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think all you can realistically do is if you're replying to say a one or two line post, quote it. If is on the same page and your post is the next one in the list (someone hasn't got there before you and posted) edit your post and take the quote out. If it is a longer quote, with questions, just take out the parts of the quote which are not relevant, and answer in the bits you're referring to.

I can't think of a better way myself.