Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband forum

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Fibre Broadband forum

Now that we have the "Full Fibre" forum, we seem to have lost the "Fibre Broadband" forum.

So we now have Broadband for ADSL topics, and Full Fibre for FTTP - where do FTTC topics belong? And what of the historic posts?

14 REPLIES 14
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Fibre Broadband forum

@corringham 

My guess is ADSL & FTTC have been lumped in together as Broadband. If so, all posts from both forums should be there.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

ADSL and FTTC, so basically xDSL will now be in Broadband.
The previous posts are not lost and posts from this month have already been moved across.
There are some challenges in terms of ordering that are being looked at.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

The truth is out!

ISTM that in lumping all flavours of DSL together into the same board there is finally some tacit admission that VDSL is not really 'Fibre' (as it has been called for years).  Tongue

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@dvorak wrote:
ADSL and FTTC, so basically xDSL will now be in Broadband.
The previous posts are not lost and posts from this month have already been moved across.
There are some challenges in terms of ordering that are being looked at.

Thanks for that information, @dvorak - I'll bear it in mind when choosing which boards to watch - if I can be bothered. 😉

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion

So, after years of moderators moving FTTC posts from Broadband to Fibre, they are now all being moved back to Broadband?

Why is it appropriate for ADSL and FTTC to be bundled together now - when it wasn't appropriate before?

I'd have thought that having ADSL Broadband, FTTC Broadband, and FTTP Broadband fora would have been easier and clearer.

Of course, most customers just think "Broadband", so posts will still go to the wrong forum, be moved, and irritate the customer anyway as the response to their problem tells them they have posted in the wrong place.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@corringham wrote:

I'd have thought that having ADSL Broadband, FTTC Broadband, and FTTP Broadband fora would have been easier and clearer.

Of course, most customers just think "Broadband", so posts will still go to the wrong forum, be moved, and irritate the customer anyway as the response to their problem tells them they have posted in the wrong place.

Technically though, FTTP isn't broadband. Smiley

jab1
Legend

@corringham wrote:

My thoughts exactly, @corringham , but obviously not those of others. I think having appropriate boards for the 'flavours' helps.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

Technically though, FTTP isn't broadband. Smiley

Technically that's the case, but you would need to convince the marketing people.

If something is sold as Broadband, then it is only fair to expect people to call it Broadband even if it isn't.

There is a similar nomenclature problem with Fibre and FTTC.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Perhaps PlusNet are planning for the future - ADSL is on its way out alongside PSTN

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@dvorak  It seems the Fibre Broadband Forum board is somehow getting new posts in it. For example ...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Slow-speeds-on-some-sites/m-p/1873147 

That is presumably not what should be happening and may complicate the process of moving posts to the Broadband area.

The posts show up in the Recent Topics area on the main Forum page.

jab1
Legend

Yup, I wondered where they were coming from - the Fibre forum doesn't appear on my machine.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion

If someone is specifically interested in the Fibre forum it isn't unreasonable for them to bookmark it - that would allow them to get there even though it is no longer in the main index of fora. The Fibre forum should be locked if posts are no longer wanted there.

It doesn't seem as if the changes to the fora was thought through well enough...

jab1
Legend

Agreed - to a point - @corringham . The boards I had an interest in were 'floated' to the top of the forum, and if I was pressed for time, or just feeling lazy, they were the only ones I looked at.

If the 'Fibre' board is now 'dead', it should return an 'unavailable' report, eve if it is bookmarked.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@dvorak  It seems the Fibre Broadband Forum board is somehow getting new posts in it. For example ...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Slow-speeds-on-some-sites/m-p/1873147 

There’s a quick link which hasn’t been amended yet, it has been reported to PN and is in hand.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'