Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fancy banning rongtw .....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Fancy banning rongtw .....

@St3 wrote:

@Anonymous & his second account happihijabi should be perm banned too then.

@Luzern wrote:

@Strat How does @St3 prove that supposed connection, or not? Have the mods considered looking into supposed duplicate forum IDs?

Personally, I've no idea if the first-named user is also the second-named user.

It's obviously just an uncanny coincidence that as soon as certain members, including myself (and obviously @rongtw) and presumably the first-named user, were banned, then the second-named user (who had not signed into the forum under that name for 4 weeks) suddenly appeared.  Roll_eyes

However, I do go along with the theory that the second-named user has previously been a member of the forums under another name (with a particular name in mind).

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

We have a very small moderation team here who work really hard but resources are finite.

Sometimes it takes longer than others to fully investigate the situation. We usually get to the bottom of it in time.

I’d also like to stress that nobody in the moderation team comes to ban people, it’s a lot of hassle that they can do without and we want an inclusive community, if someone’s been banned you can bet they deserved it and that it’s a last resort.
 Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I wont be using the forums much now, now its been ripped apart i accept the mods/admins rules i just dont agree to them on this action taken this time.

Crazy2

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The forum now reminds me of ebays from a decade ago.

A few trolls and their duplicate id's seemed to take control and get many banned simply by constantly reporting their posts.

It looked like those in charge only went by reports and not their common sense. Or perhaps it went along with what they wanted.

As far as I can see those boards have never recovered and I am of course still banned there.

JonoH
Hero

@billnotben wrote:

A few trolls and their duplicate id's seemed to take control and get many banned

That's why we ban, and work hard to detect duplicate user accounts.

simply by constantly reporting their posts.

That's why we go by the rules not the reports. If you were reported multiple times by the same users and had not breached the rules, you'd be fine, but we'd probably ban your reporters for bullying and harassment. 

It looked like those in charge only went by reports and not their common sense.

I can assure you a good deal of debate goes into any ban. It's never something we want to do but is necessary to foster an inclusive community.

Or perhaps it went along with what they wanted.

It's unlikely that any community would want to ban active members, unless of course they were disruptive to the community or were persistent rule breakers.

Jono H
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Well well well ...

Curiouser and curiouser ...

I've just noticed that any references to @alanj (including 'thanks' made by 'him') have now become @anonymous , which is precisely what happened to another forum member last year who is now suspected by some to have re-appeared on the forum under another identity.

AFAIK that's not down to being banned as @rongtw s username still shows in posts and refernces to his username, so it seems @alanj has either closed his account of his own volition or that decision has been made for him.  Either way it appears that 'his' account is gone.

Perhaps we'll never know what happened to 'his' account due to the policy of not revealing individual case details to us mere mortals on the forum.  Wink

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@DaveyH wrote:

He also posted some truly ignorant, Ill informed, obnoxious and at times bigoted garbage to chat, and then their was his idiotic and blatant attempt at sockpuppetry...

So good riddance to him 

Perhaps if you tried to be a more positive member yourself you wouldn't see others in such a bad light. As it happens, all i ever see you post is criticism of others just like the post i've quoted you on.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran

@JonoH wrote:

we will not tolerate even a whiff of bullying and harassment..

So why do you?

There has been a lot of it going on for many years on this community but the mods seem to pick and choose who they will side with even if its the trouble maker.

We're now at the point where I am asking myself how long do the rest of us have left on this board? It seems to me that we're now all at risk of being banned lately as recent times show that we were all punished for the actions of the few a while back and it was threatened again recently.

I personally liked rongtw, I didn't have much to do with him but he always seemed like one of the elders of this forum with a sensible input whenever he took part in a topic.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

These forums will never be the same again.

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough,

From what has been said I suspect something has happened behind the scenes. Any admin can run a simple query on the underlying database to read PM's.

Takes a couple of minutes even with basic SQL knowledge.

My fear is these forums won't be a community anymore. People won't help, and the people who do will sign up make say 6 posts to moan they have a fault and disappear when it is fixed.

I hope the staff and mods will make sure that doesn't happen. 

JonoH
Hero

@7up wrote:

@JonoH wrote:

So why do you?

We don't. We investigate every single allegation. what people have to remember is that when this happens you're always gonna annoy some. Find that it's not bullying and don't ban, the accuser is annoyed, find in their favour, the accused is annoyed.  We really can't win.

There has been a lot of it going on for many years on this community but the mods seem to pick and choose who they will side with even if its the trouble maker.

I'd be happy to discuss specific examples with you, but let's not talk about how things "seem" lets talk about how they are. I can assure you from the conversations that I've read and you haven't that that there's always a thorough impartial discussion about every single report.

We're now at the point where I am asking myself how long do the rest of us have left on this board? It seems to me that we're now all at risk of being banned lately

If you're within the forum rules then you'll be fine. If you're behaving outside of them then you should be worried. 

we were all punished for the actions of the few a while back and it was threatened again recently.

We're in a position where I'm genuinely considering if its worth keeping General Chat.  The amount of time that the moderators spend here is hugely disproportionate and several times a month I'm called to spend hours sorting out a dispute between two members. They are not even always customers of ours.

@Alex wrote: 

My fear is these forums won't be a community anymore. People won't help, and the people who do will sign up make say 6 posts to moan they have a fault and disappear when it is fixed.

I hope the staff and mods will make sure that doesn't happen. 

Mine too, and that is why I keep giving general chat another chance, but there is only so many chances it can have.

Jono H
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If people are deemed to have misbehaved on the general chat board then if that person has obviously made a significant positive contribution to other boards then why not just ban them from the chat board, rather than the whole forum?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

7up
Community Veteran

@JonoH wrote:

@7up wrote:

@JonoH wrote:

So why do you?

We don't. We investigate every single allegation. what people have to remember is that when this happens you're always gonna annoy some. Find that it's not bullying and don't ban, the accuser is annoyed, find in their favour, the accused is annoyed.  We really can't win.

That may "seem" to be the case now but it has not always been. For many years I put up with one single member repeatedly sniping at me at every opportunity. Nothing was done about it despite my repeated pointing out of their attacks. Eventually one particular mod seemed to realise what was "really" going on and actually dealt with it. From that point, this forum became pleasant for me and that member and I are diplomatic.

The problem is that same member then moved onto other people as victims although admittedly in the last year or two they have been quiet in this regard but it used to be standing out for all to see.

I'd be happy to discuss specific examples with you, but let's not talk about how things "seem" lets talk about how they are. I can assure you from the conversations that I've read and you haven't that that there's always a thorough impartial discussion about every single report.

I wasn't talking about how things seem, I'm talking about things i've noticed repeatedly such as other members picking on those they see as victims.

We're now at the point where I am asking myself how long do the rest of us have left on this board? It seems to me that we're now all at risk of being banned lately

If you're within the forum rules then you'll be fine. If you're behaving outside of them then you should be worried. 

I was within the rules when the general chat suspension was put in place as were many others. We were punished for no other reason that having nothing to do with it.

we were all punished for the actions of the few a while back and it was threatened again recently.

We're in a position where I'm genuinely considering if its worth keeping General Chat.  The amount of time that the moderators spend here is hugely disproportionate and several times a month I'm called to spend hours sorting out a dispute between two members. They are not even always customers of ours.

Let me get this right, you're reconsidering the very future of general chat due to some forum members that aren't even customers?

Are you serious? - Really? I am genuinely shocked. You have to see how that looks. You've opened up the forum to total strangers and are now mulling over punishing us because of the trouble it has caused. It really is simple, stop accepting outsiders as members.

I'm not the first to say it and these suggestions will not stop coming.

JonoH
Hero

@7up wrote:

Let me get this right, you're reconsidering the very future of general chat due to some forum members that aren't even customers?

I'm considering the future of General Chat because of actions taken by members of this Community, some are customers, some are not. We've banned some, and our strategy at the moment is to continue to moderate the boards and simply deal with those who break the rules.

If that continues to be a huge drain on Moderator's time and efforts, we may decide to close General Chat.

Jono H
7up
Community Veteran

So why not action the other idea and just take on more moderators?

As for it being drain on the moderators, I only see one moderator running the show in general chat these days anyway. It's like the other two don't want to know.