Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORUM Cookie banner

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

FORUM Cookie banner

Anyone else annoyed with FORUM cookie banner appearing at top of page every visit?

Despite making my preferences/ saving still keeps appearing.Embarrassed

16 REPLIES 16
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: FORUM Cookie banner

Nope, even tried logging out and back in again.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

THINK I got it on first opening this morning (can't quite remember, it was 15 hours ago), but not seen it since.

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had no problem with the forum before this as I saved the forum cookie. Then this monster cookie banner started appearing.

The only way I found to stop it is I have to save the plusnet site cookie as well as the forum one.

This seems a bit of a nonsense to me as why should you now have to keep the site one as well as the forum one.

Some sort of extra tracking going on. Can't think of any other reason.

jab1
Legend

Didn't see it this morning, but I always save all PN cookies anyway.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I'm seeing it on every page - somewhat annoying!!!

Brian

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi everyone,

Apologies that the new cookie banner/privacy settings are affecting your experience when using the forums. This is (unfortunately) the result of the new GDPR legislation and we must provide a way for you to tailor your preferences when it comes to the deployment of cookies on ALL of our websites.

Whatever preferences you choose from the banner, it will deploy a cookie to your browser that remembers your preferences. If your browser deletes this cookie, you will be asked again to choose your preferences. Please note that your cookie preferences are NOT directly tied to your forum account and is more to do with your chosen browser and how it handles cookies. Just make sure that your browser doesn't delete the cookie 'storagePreferences' in whatever browser addons you use to tidy up cookies upon closing.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I have a distinct sense of Déjà vu here Funny

happybunny
Grafter

I'm finding the cookie banner rather annoying when viewing the forum on an iphone safari browser.

The plusnet community site is the only site to request the cookies at every single visit even when refreshing an existing page that was viewed a couple of hours earlier. 

When refreshing a page and the confirmation of cookies is required this popup floats to the top of the page, but if it was left part way down the page at the end of the last visit when the popup floats at the top it is not possible to find the confirmation box so a complete close and reopen of safari is required.

When you find the popup and select to Change Settings it is then not always possible to scroll to the content and completely impossible to make any changes.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@jaread83 wrote:
Apologies that the new cookie banner/privacy settings are affecting your experience when using the forums. This is (unfortunately) the result of the new GDPR legislation

Is it?

I can't find anywhere where it says make the cookie banner big annoying and intrusive as possible. That's entirely down to plusnet. Unless maybe I missed that part?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It is appearing for me using IE11 on Win7

I have 3rd party Cookies blocked by default. However, the PlusNet forum appears totally unable to save your preferences. As mentioned the banner can re-appear by simply moving to another website and then re-visiting the forum.

It's getting bl***y annoying. Before it just appeared at the top of the page and could be ignored by scrolling down the page. Now it appears centre screen and has to be actioned.

I'm seriously thinking about giving up using this forum.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Since yesterday I have twice experienced difficulties with the cookie acceptance functionality when accessing the site using an iPhone 8+ with Safari.

Instead of the cookie prompts appearing “pushed down” at the top of the page and scrollable with the page, the prompt is being overlaid on the page, with the page content greyed and unclickable.

The problem is that the cookie prompt is not always in the viewport and will not scroll into the viewport. It is not apparent what is happening.

Yesterday I did not see the prompt, just a grey page which I could not get rid of - I ended up ‘closing’ the tab and opening a new connection to the site ... which worked without issue (do not recall if I saw the prompt again).

This morning navigating back / forward pages a couple of times resulted in part of the prompt box being seen ... hence being able to work out what was happening.

Realising that there are issues with the cookie prompt, I’ve realised that I have previously observed variability in how the cookie prompt is presented ... occasionally as an overly rather than being pushed down from the top.

Looks like more Lithium tinkering ... change control still way short of the required standard.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

As an aside, I don't think I've ever seen the cookie banner. Using Firefox x64 and UBlock Origin only.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@Townman wrote:
Since yesterday I have twice experienced difficulties with the cookie acceptance functionality when accessing the site using an iPhone 8+ with Safari.

Looks like more Lithium tinkering ... change control still way short of the required standard.

I've had this on chrome with iPhone X since GDPR stuff kicked in, so think you're just lucky Wink

every time I click a link from a community email or open it in a new tab it's there. 

when trying to change settings of the 'Functional' part to 'on' it doesn't even register a click and I think that's the problem, it's a poorly rendered popup.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The cookie overlay (instead of the push down menu at the top) was added as the banner was being ignored. Unfortunately, we had to implement the overlay version to ensure that users interacted with the banner and acted upon it.

We are aware of a couple of bugs - IE11 has trouble with a javascript method, a fix is currently being worked on. The other bug is the mobile phone screensizes and scrolling causes the cookie banner to dissapear - this is also being worked on.

I will let you know when a fix has been rolled out. Apologies for any inconvenience this has cuased.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.