cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with push notifications.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error with push notifications.

I've had my browser open for quite some time now with it sitting on an "Unread Posts" view with no post to view. In that time I got an email from the Community Mailer, so I would have expected a bubble above my avatar to tell me of this, after all this is the point of your push notifications. Anyway I gave it some time to catch up but the bubble didn't appear until I re-freshed the page.

10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Error with push notifications.

I'd noticed similar things. I think it only occurs when you have the notifications open BUT, I didn't remember it like that initially, will need to check, keep an eye open.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really @Anotherone this is the point of push notifications the Username / Avatar as I see it is the subscriber to these, so wherever this is present notices should be published to it regardless of the page having focus. i.e. You have another tab open and are reading that. But as I have already eluded to in a previous post the WebSocket (WSS) code is in need of some attention. Wink

Anotherone
Champion

I must be careful with my "shorter" replies to you as you read more than I intended Wink

I agree with you, what I was trying to say was I thought it worked correctly initially, but now only works if you don't have Notifications open (I think), which is why I needed to check and keep an eye open Smiley  It might be the current bug that's affected the other js stuff.

It should work all the time Thumbs_Up

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This is not a dynamic push notification.  The avatar bubble simply reports the state of play when the page was loaded - it does not auto refresh.

Push notifications appear as a brief message box in the bottom right corner of the browser.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

@Townman wrote:

This is not a dynamic push notification. 

In which case we will have to find out if it can be made so.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Townman wrote:

Push notifications appear as a brief message box in the bottom right corner of the browser.

And are so brief in duration that you need to be Speedy Gonzales to make any use of them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone wrote:

@Townman wrote:

@Anotherone, that would be a better idea as I had assumed that this was the intended action which is why I wrote the post but @Townman has corrected my assumption. I have seen the popups appear at the bottom of the screen, but as noted by @MauriceC they don't stay around for long, so I wrongly assumed that the 'update' would be reflected in the User/Avatar area at the top of the screen which to me (at least) seems the most logical course of action.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anotherone wrote:

@Townman wrote:

<SNIP>..................@MauriceC they don't stay around for long, so I wrongly assumed that the 'update' would be reflected in the User/Avatar area at the top of the screen which to me (at least) seems the most logical course of action.

That's my belief also.  Keeping the 'Unread Posts'  Counts synchronised across the  various places they appear would be a great asset.

M

Anotherone
Champion

As I mentioned in another thread a few days ago the 'My Notifications' is not interlinked with 'Unread Posts' - it looks as though it was a core product add-on which has not been integrated - as yet, which is what we are pushing for. This is why I work from 'My Notifications' in the first instance most of the time. The Unread/Read status in 'My Notifications' is craftily linked to your browser history, otherwise it would just be a list where you may have forgotten where you got to, on subsequent visits.

I find the push boxes in the bottom RH corner are there for long enough to read and note. Depending on what I'm doing, I might make practical use of one, but generally I use 'My Notifications', which I tend to have open all the time (but not always).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been thinking about possible enhancements to the notifications and additional use of the websocket integration within the site.

What would be nice is the post like counter that when hovered over displayed (a scrollable if needed) list of the members the liked a post rather than it opening in a new page, as the current implementation is tedious. In addition to this would be an auto update to the Username / Avatar when its content changed, keeping the black popup at the bottom of the screen as well but as one is not always at the desk, or even viewing the same web page an auto update would be really helpful.

Also, the actual topic view page could be made more dynamic, for example. I am viewing a topic posted to by 3 authors A, B and C. Meantime author B has made a new post so their post count is incremented, the same would apply to Thanks and Fixes as well. It’s maybe a big ask but I do think it would add use and value to the site.

I know all of this can be done in practice but if it is done is of course another matter.