Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emoticons - same problem as the old forums

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Emoticons - same problem as the old forums

I see the old forums emoticon problem has been carried forward - text being converted to an emoticon in error when a simple test could display messages correctly.

example using the two characters : and )

If these are put together you get Smiley  for any occurrence, though whilst that should occur when preceded by a "non-printing" character, it should should give the two characters otherwise; as in  D:)  should give 😧 ) (without the space). It also happens with 8 followed by ) - and possibly others I haven't noted.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Emoticons - same problem as the old forums

I know - annoying as heck isn't it

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I did raise this during testing before the forum went live when were were discussing emoticons. Without checking back I don't recall whether it was actually possible to block the ascii variants, but several others commented that they did use them themselves and I have also done so when using a small screen mobile device because the toolbar is not available (at present) and hence no emoticons.

So I'd guess that this won't change, certainly in the near future.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the info.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.