cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic page view per user

Not applicable

Dynamic page view per user

OK, its probably too much of a biggy to make it worthwhile, but I'd love being able to craft my own layout for aspects of the community site, in a manner similar to a personalised Google page.
Keep the header stuff the same for example, but give me a choice on what order the stuff on the right sidebar appears.
Allow me to increase/decrease the number of items shown in each category. (Perhaps I want to see more 'latest posts' and less 'recent blog entries' because the forums get more new content than the blogs do.
Gradually start to add widgets, so I can stick a PN webcam on my Community homepage if I want, or perhaps so I can add a POP3 email account overview to the sidebar.
Too much work, or a gauntlet that somebody is prepared to pick up...?
21 REPLIES 21
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Dynamic page view per user

I'll see what I can do...  Cool
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: James_H
OK, its probably too much of a biggy to make it worthwhile, but I'd love being able to craft my own layout for aspects of the community site, in a manner similar to a personalised Google page.
...Too much work, or a gauntlet that somebody is prepared to pick up...?

tbh I'd settle for just dark-colour side-margins to highlight the central bit where the discussions take place.
I find most of the colours here washed-out/insipid (apart from the purple) but I could live with that if there wasn't such a wide expanse of white either side of the insipid central bit.  Total lack of definition and it's curiously de-stabilising.
The PlusNet UserGroup forums for all customers at http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php are hardly "colourful" but they're a whole lot easier-on-the-eye than this place, and the pallidity in this "community site" probably has a fair amount to do with the fact that it isn't starting to rack up the level of postings / members that might have been expected, even in a beta site.
Sorry guys, just my take.  I *really* don't like the aesthetics of the set-up here as it presently stands.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think it's the combination of being centralised and the white background to alternate posts not showing them up against the page background.
These forums looks a lot better - it's centralised and the dark background helps a lot.
Perhaps they are trying to get us all to go over there instead?  Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mitch
Dabbler

Quote from: Penny
I find most of the colours here washed-out/insipid (apart from the purple) but I could live with that if there wasn't such a wide expanse of white either side of the insipid central bit.  Total lack of definition and it's curiously de-stabilising.

I'll be working on defining the threads/posts a lot more, thats definetly a problem on the forums at the moment.
we could hope to introduce a few preferences in the future though, so you can choose layout/colour e.t.c - as i don't think one option will suit everyone.
personally i prefer it minimal, and once the posts are defined and seperated more with some styling i'd be happy with it  Smiley
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: mitch
we could hope to introduce a few preferences in the future though, so you can choose layout/colour e.t.c - as i don't think one option will suit everyone.
personally i prefer it minimal, and once the posts are defined and seperated more with some styling i'd be happy with it  Smiley

I'm inclined to think that what appeals to the majority of customers has to be the criteria.  The lack of sign-ups / posts other than from mods/staff, tells its own story.  Sorry Mitch but the present set-up doesn't work as it stands, in terms of appeal to customers.
As per the parallel thread at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=77.0 there is perhaps a need for a bit of a re-think - and something better also has to be done with the colours overall, to get some contrast/definition.
I've visited quite a few forums and never before been disinclined to re-visit by what it actually "looks like".  I don't have any problems with "minimalist" per se but this just looks washed out and a long way from the "hive of activity" I assume it was always intended to be.
Somebody fix it please Cheesy

Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Kelly
Hero

I'm inclined to think that what appeals to the majority of customers has to be the criteria.  The lack of sign-ups / posts other than from mods/staff, tells its own story.  Sorry Mitch but the present set-up doesn't work as it stands, in terms of appeal to customers.

I don't think it's quite that bad.  Quite a few sign ups that are non staff/mods.  it's just a bit work in progress at the moment. Smiley
Mitch will sort the colouring of this skin and I'll all up for producing a bunch to choose from.  I quite like this layout, but it does need more post definition.
Patience.  It should start moving again next week once Colin is back
Kelly Dorset
jtn
Grafter

Hi Penny.

I find this site without garish borders and other stuff I don't need to see whilst reading posts most refreshing but then I must admit, in Open Office I have quite wide margins as well so I feel sort of at home here  Grin
Also the way my monitor is set up ( old crt thing) the "insipid central bit" is very easy on the eyes Grin
Cheers
Jon
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you not think the attached looks better?
[attachment deleted by admin]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
billbo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As I've said in another thread - white on white does not work.......
jtn
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Do you not think the attached looks better?

Tell you the truth.... no
Cheers
Jon
Kelly
Hero

Shall we get on topic?  "Dynamic page view per user"
Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Kelly
Mitch will sort the colouring of this skin and I'll all up for producing a bunch to choose from ...
Patience.  It should start moving again next week once Colin is back

Well thanks Smiley  I haven't said what I have with the intention of upsetting anyone (and sorry if I have) but there seems to be a huge difference-of-opinion here, in terms of what "works", visually, for this "community site", and what doesn't.
Personalised individual view-choices (dynamic or otherwise) may well sort things, but it would be good if the "standard" colours/layout/definition were vaguely appealing to all customers regardless.
"a bunch to choose from" sounds like a good way forwards Smiley  - is a vote planned?
Regards,
Penny.
Kelly
Hero

"a bunch to choose from" sounds like a good way forwards Smiley  - is a vote planned?

I'm thinking having a load which you choose from a drop down in your profile page and it saves them with your profile.
Kelly Dorset
arlehaven
Grafter

Hi all,
The dark background used on the header down both sides looks good. The posts really stand out and it goes well with the purple.
But giving everybody a choice is good.