Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion on signature sizes

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

So I've started a conversation with the moderators and other staff members about the signature sizes, what are other peoples thoughts on them? This thread is specifically about the signature size and not a place to debate moderation actions.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
48 REPLIES 48
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Chris
what are other peoples thoughts on them? This thread is specifically about the signature size

I think they are a distraction and already mostly too big, which is why I don't have one.
This forum is generally "concise", hence the rules such as not fully quoting preceding posts. Large signatures are inconsistent with that style.
With "widescreen" formats being prevalent, if you" must" have a signature make it shallower and maybe a bit wider if you really think the content is worth repeating on every post.  Lips_are_sealed
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Possibly worth starting a new thread specifically to discuss the purpose, function and appearance of signatures, with clear guidelines of what are acceptable discussion points and locking this thread?
[Edit]  Superfluous comment now as the original thread has been split  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Discussion on signature sizes

One point to be aware of
Because of the way the Forum is set up signatures wider than 560px will wrap before the width bars kick in
This screen cap shows the limit
As an aside my sig images are 80px deep as I thought that 100px was too large
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If we take Chris' first post in this thread as an example, even with just 4 text lines his signature is bigger then the post - I'd suggest this as a new (reduced) size limit (though, if reducing the limit this would (initially at least) have to apply to new / modified signatures only so we don't suddenly have a load of existing members inadvertently breaking a rule just because the rule has changed.
Even though average connection speeds have increased substantially, the speed of those unfortunate enough to be a long way from the exchange probably hasn't increased at all and this forum can be slow enough to load at times without excessively large images so I'd be against any increase in what's allowed.
What would really help, whatever the rules are, would be for the forum 'software' to check and then either 'allow' or 'reject' any new or modified signatures so members couldn't inadvertently create an 'illegal' one (a simple error box stating that the signature you're trying to save either has too many lines or embeded images are too many kB or exceed the max pixel area - with a link to the forum rule defining what's allowed) should be simple enough but I understand that the 'software' in use may have limitations that make it more difficult than it might otherwise be.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
picbits
Rising Star

I'm 50/50 on the signature bit. I think there is a little room to play with i.e. allowing the smallish speedtest results to be displayed without having to resize but set that as a maximum. This way there isn't any bandwidth overhead as the signatures have to fully load anyway before being resized by the parser.
On a popular forum I moderate, images are not allowed at all in the signature and a maximum of three lines of text keeps things tidy. Other forums I use have users with large images in signatures and they can be an absolute nightmare. Even one line answers turn a thread into a huge mess and you spend as much time trying to find the information posted as you do reading the flaming thing.
The worst offending forum I use has signatures with images up to 2Mb in size and animated - this totally kills the bandwidth and also slows down your computer as it tried to animate all the .gifs
picbits
Rising Star

Oh and the forum I help moderate has the option to only show the signatures the first time a user posts in a thread. Subsequent posts have the signature hidden.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

One could argue till the cows come home about sig sizes, and we probably will.  Wink
My preference would be for no graphics at all in sigs, thereby allowing the avatar pixel limit to be increased from the present 80×80.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
w23
Pro

Quote from: DomS
Oh and the forum I help moderate has the option to only show the signatures the first time a user posts in a thread. Subsequent posts have the signature hidden.

I actually thought of suggesting this - a very good idea (if the 'forum software' can accommodate it).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NedLudd
Grafter

Text only sigs may be an option?  Smiley
Geoff,
York.
picbits
Rising Star

There is a mod available for the one signature / user / thread
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1958
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
As an aside my sig images are 80px deep as I thought that 100px was too large

+1
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

While we're discussing (and presumably listening to all suggestions), ideally I'd like the option for signatures to be displayed on my (Android) phone only if connected to wi-fi and not when using 3G.
Yes, I know I'm pushing my luck with that one (unless a PN Forum app is created anyway).
Call me 'w23'
picbits
Rising Star

Maybe we should put it to the vote and let the forum users decide. Before starting a poll, we should collate all possible options and the run the poll for say 30 days ?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm with those who have suggested text only signatures. I really don't see why it is necessary to use speedtest results as signatures unless the topic is discussing a speed issue.