Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a PM gives authentication error

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Deleting a PM gives authentication error

Attempting to delete a PM gives authentication / javascript inhibited error.

Capture Authentication.JPG

Given that I am authenticated (otherwise I could not have read my PMs) and that JavaScript is used all over this space, neither of the claimed causes can be valid! Crazy2

What has been done to @jaread83's wonderful code?  He turns his back for a couple of days to do a wedding and it all crashes all over the floor! Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

13 REPLIES 13
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Deleting a PM gives authentication error

I get this consistently in a number of scenarios. Haven't had any PM's yet so that isn't one I've encountered.

As I have mentioned recently, if I open another browser window (or just a tab) and repeat the operation there, it works. Crazy! Crazy3

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There's very little point in starting new threads about  authentication errors,  I've already mentioned them in the Bugs thread.  And I did suggest that any other bugs be added to the thread.  That was another reason I got it pinned. 

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ah well, now that I've had a PM (thanks Kevin!) I did delete it OK without any error.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I successfully deleted a PM received yesterday.

However I did get the error message when attempting to delete a PM received 2 weeks ago.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

All these ruddy bugs are random intermittent Dick, but happening more often than not.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Anotherone wrote:

There's very little point in starting new threads about  authentication errors,  I've already mentioned them in the Bugs thread.  And I did suggest that any other bugs be added to the thread.  That was another reason I got it pinned. 

Its a difficult call - put them all in one heap - and there's no clarity of which are fixed or do (as we are always bid to do) and have a separate topic for each issue so that they can clearly see where they are with each issue... and consequently have dozens of threads? Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Regarding the failed delete above. I just went back to it and successfully deleted it Huh

As you say...random and intermittent.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

@Townman It's not a difficult call at all. All these bugs cropped up with various changes they made Friday morning and then afternoon. If you scatter reports of them all over the place 1) it just causes confusion, and then everyone starts individual threads about the same thing & 2) when they are not all together it doesn't look like such a big problem.
Please read the Bugs thread thoroughly and please read what I've said on Staging and add your comments.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Interesting and confusing!

If I display the PM and click the delete button, I get the error - still.

If from the list of PM's I tick the relevant box and choose delete from the dropdown delete on the confirm screen works OK! Crazy2

Anotherone
Champion

How many more times, in general it's occurring randomly. If you've found a work-around for a particular thing - that is fairly reliable, post it in the Bugs thread please - as wisty did.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Police ?

Anotherone
Champion

It's a sensible idea if we all speak with one voice, If you want to play silly [-Censored-]s, carry on, I'm out of here.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Anotherone wrote:

If you've found a work-around for a particular thing...

For those who need to look at this issue, this was not posted as a work-around as suggested above.  It was additional diagnostic information which might (or might) not inform your investigations.

For what its worth, I get the same error report when trying to make all topics on a board as read.