Connection Problems - SMF was unable to connect to the database

Hi
Getting this error periodically this morning when trying to use the forums:
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connection Problems - SMF was unable to connect to the database

I haven't seen that but the forums were generally very slow earlier this morning
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just seen the same thing when I clicked on 'UNREAD POSTS' !

and a couple of these -

As usual, these are Plusnet forum related, and no other website EVER has these annoying symptoms  Angry
I guess I will add this to my catalogue of problems that Plusnet can't be asked to fix because it isn't a priority  Cry
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I've had this problem a few times today.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've not seen this error before -

Undecided
Perhaps I should type less quickly  Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sigh !  Angry
Just had another "SMF was unable to connect to the database" page, which hung when I hit [POST] when replying to a topic.
When will these problems get taken seriously and something done about it  ?
avatastic
Grafter

They won't.
Much like the legacy ccgi platform Plusnet are going to wait for the forums to fall apart and everyone to migrate elsewhere whilst they go off and monitor the forums on TBB instead.
One less server in the rack = power & money savings.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I usually get one two SMF fails to connect and network disconnects per session now.  It seems to be progressively getting worse over the past months,  much in line with similar observations from other users.  Yesterday's update / maintenance was a damp squib and appears not to have been very effective.
Is there enough technical expertise in-house or is it time to shell out on some external consultancy?  Certainly unlikely to win many prizes with network in this state.
Where has the old Plusnet 'can do' attitude gone

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: avatastic
Much like the legacy ccgi platform Plusnet are going to wait for the forums to fall apart and everyone to migrate elsewhere whilst they go off and monitor the forums on TBB instead.

Well if that is the strategy, then their plan is working !, as I continue to migrate my Plusnet account "extras" to providers elsewhere !   Angry
Just two days ago I signed up the rest of my family to use a proper email service, with SSL security, built-in server side anti-virus and anti-SPAM protection, massive online storage, individual passwords to the outgoing SMTP server, whitelists, blacklists, redirection, out-of-office notifications, text-alerts, and more besides.  Each family member now has their own domain name, so if push comes to shove we can now leave Plusnet with minimum disruption.
Also this week, as the problems with the new Plusnet hosting platform continue to make it look like someones toy server project rather than a serious service worthy of bothering with,  I have signed up for having my new website hosted elsewhere rather than risk the problems reported on this forum.
Next on my list is to identify an alternative VoIP provider (to Plusnet's supplier Gradwell), and assign each person in my house with their own phone number (which can be routed as necessary to different handsets within my home (or their mobiles) with my VoIP basestation).
I am getting really fed up with Plusnet where the prices keep going up, yet the features of the service are not maintained or are discontinued over time, new features get trialled but never implemented,  and when things break nothing is done because everything is such low priority you should just forget about it, and a help ticketing/phone system that has always needed replacing.
As ever my biggest gripe is the unfair £7 monthly charge for the "Market 1" premium compared to what the other >90% of customers pay, especially when I am stuck with the useless performance of a 20CN "up-to 8Mbps" exchange, and the other >90% customers are most likely on 21CN "up-to 24Mbps" or FTTC so they get massively better performance and are paying much less.
I don't mind paying extra for the additional broadband features, but bloody well maintain them and keep them up to date !   Angry

As 'MauriceC' said -
Quote from: MauriceC
Where has the old Plusnet 'can do' attitude gone

Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: purleigh
Just two days ago I signed up the rest of my family to use a proper email service, with SSL security, built-in server side anti-virus and anti-SPAM protection, massive online storage, individual passwords to the outgoing SMTP server, whitelists, blacklists, redirection, out-of-office notifications, text-alerts, and more besides.  Each family member now has their own domain name, so if push comes to shove we can now leave Plusnet with minimum disruption.

Where?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool  1&1
- Look for various options under "Mail" and then "Instant Mail" in the drop-down list.  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: purleigh
Cool  1&1

I've used them before for friends... never again!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is only one email address where I get loads of spam including trojans - 1&1 which hosts my good lady's site
Just to note tha fact that it gets spam etc. isn't 1&1's fault but their systems don't seem very good at blocking them