Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Site first page

colintivy
Rising Star

Community Site first page

Hi folks,
I have been wrestling with a dubious Adobe Flash Player which appears to be very selective about the images my machine will display. Looking at the pre-logon page I see that the image at the top of wires and things is always present whereas that of Jeremy and the tennis is always a black rectangle. i also note that a right click on it says Adobe 9, presently mine is 10.0.27.87-2 (the currently most recent).
Can someone who knows about these things can give me what is different about these images?
colintivy   Embarrassed
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Community Site first page

Which version does http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ say you have installed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi jelv,
Just got back to keyboard. Social activities intervened!
Link says 9.0.159.0,  which is odd because Synaptic says 10.0 22.87-2, just rechecked. Shall I try to update via Adobe? or will this confuse Synaptic?Huh
colintivy
Waldo
Grafter

I'm assuming you're using Ubuntu Linux here...

$ apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
flashplugin-nonfree:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 9.0.159.0ubuntu1~hardy1
  Version table:
    9.0.159.0ubuntu1~hardy1 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Packages
    9.0.124.0ubuntu2 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages
$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
adobe-flashplugin:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 10.0.22.87-2
  Version table:
    10.0.22.87-2 0
        500 http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Packages

It appears both packages can be installed at the same time but only one plugin (probably the first one installed) can be used by the browser.
Assuming you're using Firefox, type about:plugins into the URL bar and you'll probably find it says

File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r159

I'd try removing both packages and installing adobe-flashplugin again.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Waldo,
Thanks for that, I am using Hardy as my profile reveals. I am slightly mystified, being a newbie.
Synaptic only shows 10.0.22.87-2 as installed. What you say must be the problem but, with only the one listed, presumably that is the one that will be got rid of within that facility. Where would I look to uninstall the earlier version??  Do you also think that the old version is the reason why some images do not display?Huh
colintivy
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
I am slightly mystified, being a newbie.

You're one up on me; I was hugely mystified as a newbie - sometimes only less so now....
Synaptic only shows 10.0.22.87-2 as installed. What you say must be the problem but, with only the one listed, presumably that is the one that will be got rid of within that facility. Where would I look to uninstall the earlier version?? 

Have you ever installed it by means other than a package using apt/synaptic?
Does the output from the following commands match what I get?

# locate libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
# ls -l /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
total 9872
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10089232 2009-02-24 19:37 libflashplayer.so
# ls -l /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 2009-07-21 20:03 /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin -> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
# update-alternatives --list mozilla-flashplugin
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Do you also think that the old version is the reason why some images do not display?Huh

Dunno. Could be. Maybe.  Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Waldo,
Thanks for all that, I will try to get down to it when time permits. There is a historic proverb concerning the amount of time that was needed to go to work before retirement! Mine is often in the minus quantity. I am afraid that we have got a bit off thread but am grateful that we have not been Moderated elsewhere so far. It did start with a query about the late front page images. I will have to sort out a current set for comparison but the original was both relevant and of PN construction.
colin  Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Waldo,
I am glad to tell you that I have found, by accident, I was looking for something else, where the FP 9 was lurking. Synaptic has two routes to Adobe, one under their name and another under FP Plug-ins. The latter was version 9 whereas the former listed Version 10. I have unloaded the 9 and reinstalled 10 and hopefully all will be well.
Thanks for your detailed help.
colintivy  🙂