Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Ignore button.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Broken Ignore button.

When visiting a users profile there is a button to ignore them.

I have used this recently on a member that i believe to be trolling. Despite this i am still seeing their replies to topics.

I do not want to see those replies.

Please can you have the ignore feature fixed.

This would solve a LOT of problems in General Chat.

Thank you.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
31 REPLIES 31
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Broken Ignore button.

@7up  can you reply to this please? want to check something.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:

@7up  can you reply to this please? want to check something.

I assume you've now ignored me to test it lol

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@7up , @dvorak 

I thought that the Ignore button only applied to Private Messages, not community replies.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Agreed @Baldrick1 , I think this has been discussed before.

It only stops the 'Ignored' person from PM'ing you.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@7up , @dvorak 

I thought that the Ignore button only applied to Private Messages, not community replies.

That's my understanding of it, too.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran

I suppose it could be added to the list of enhancements? Yes I won't moan about the thing I usually do (makes a change I know!).

I don't know how much customisation PlusNet make to the standard Lithium build, here is an idea, get a developer in house to fix it and then sell it back to Lithium! 😛

Being a developer myself maybe have a separate board for people to make suggestions? Probably private to selected people, as obviously things like security risks can't be made public.

Just an idea really. Most of mine are usually bad.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Alex 

This is a public forum. Other members might like to see replies (and even agree with them) even if they offend the OP. Therefore I can only guess that you want to include individual message filtering for every account. This sounds like more than a minor coding tweek to me!

A clue to the function of the ignore field is in the field heading:

ignore.jpg

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

7up
Community Veteran

Guys, it's really this simple. General Chat is popular, we're all glad it's back however some people don't like others and therefore they should be able to click that ignore button and be done with it irrespective of the "Contact me" heading.

Why would I look to contact that user for an ignore button that dismisses their incoming messages? - It's bonkers.

The ignore button should work on posts / replies. Other forums offer this, it's not a big deal. Lithium are just lazy.

Mav

It is what it is and has been since day one. I doubt griping about the way the Ignore button works would change things any time soon.

If you see someone you want to ignore's post you don't have to read it. If you do then you don't have to reply. Restraint, which is clearly lacking in some members within General Chat, is the order of the day.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

7up
Community Veteran

Accusing me of griping is uncalled for when i am putting forward a useful suggestion that is common on other forums. You are one of the mods who are fed up with dealing with spats in GC aren't you so perhaps you'd instead back me for once and say "hey, thats not a bad idea".

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes I agree, to essentially say "It is what it is", "Stop moaning and live with it" it the short sighted Sun reader approach of not wanting to listen to any feedback.

Are we allowed to give any feedback at all? It appears this forum is run by North Korea now and we can say anything as long as the management all agree to what we say and it is nothing negative.

I would spell check this, but I can't be bothered to Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V this into Word and back again. That was a useful feature before that was canned for no reason. Can't the same be done with the Feedback tab too?

If I had the attitude to my end users as PlusNet, if they critised my software then I would be fired.

I quite like the pub, and obviously the testers at Lithium and the people who signed if off must have had a nice backhander and a good few pints down there.

Mav

@7up My comment was not aimed at any specific person. Apologies if I offended you.

I wouldn't get 'fed up' as you call it with the General Chat spats if members played nicely like the adults we're all supposed to be and adhered to the rules.

@Alex I never said "Stop moaning and live with it" I simply suggested that I cannot see this one being changed any time soon considering it has been discussed several times before.

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @Mav sorry for my harsh response.

I am having a bad day today, so I am in a foul mood, just chilling out now with a light ale (or three).

Not anyone's fault here, so my apologies for taking it out on here.

I just thought it was quite a good idea and it shouldn't have been dismissed.

Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and how feasible any idea is.

Pleased GC has returned and I don't want to upset anyone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Alex wrote:

I would spell check this, but I can't be bothered to Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V this into Word and back again. That was a useful feature before that was canned for no reason. Can't the same be done with the Feedback tab too?

If I had the attitude to my end users as PlusNet, if they critised [criticised] my software then I would be fired.

What is the problem / current need for spell check in the forum post editor itself?  Yes historically it had merit, but these days all decent browsers / OS platforms do spell checking on the fly.  As soon as I did the above reply / quote, the browser highlighted the above typo.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.