cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloat - a rant

Tony_W
Grafter

Bloat - a rant

Just to load the 'Community Support' section of the web site in a new browser widow takes over 200KB (89K upload, 115K download).
If I looked 5 times an hour, over a day it would clock up 10-15MB
Each time, I have to scroll down past banners, sub-forums with explanations that are mainly irrelevant but I can't bypass and 'stickies' (four of which are locked).
Finally I get to the information on topics.
At the bottom - and loaded every time - are adverts for PlusNet like 'Cheap broadband' which are only there to boost PlusNet pages in search engine lists such as in Google. They are even there on the page as I am typing this!!
I realise that this rant will not make me popular, but when web sites such as Gmail can load up in a quarter of the number of bytes, it all seems very unnecessary.
There, I've got that one off of my chest - I feel much better.
Any thoughts?
Tony
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Bloat - a rant

Quite agree with you about the bloat bloat bloat. But I can't find the adverts you mentioned (nor do I want to). I've got a lot of mostly handy links at the bottom of the page.
Tony_W
Grafter

And I thought I was alone....
The 'Cheap Broadband', 'Madasafish Broadband' and 'Metronet Broadband'' are examples of the adverts, plus most of the 'About Plusnet' column. Then there's 'Plusnet Broadband for home and business' and 'Broadband for Gamers' which actually goes to the same page!!!!
There - youve started me off again. I'm going all hot under the collar.
Off to take a lie down.
Tony
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, the 'Broadband for Gamers' link needs fixing, it shouldn't go there. Jameseh do somethiong useful, whilst things are quiet  Kiss
Lurker
Grafter

Hey - if its OK for you to advertise your software on a page that PN pay for and support, can we really begrude them a little of their own real estate for adverts?
And the upshot - the popularity of this site, coupled with the fact that it has links to your site is going to significantly help your search engine results isn't it?
And the alternative to having lots of forums to split out discussion, is to have all discussion in one place - that's not something that is going to make life easier for any of us (except perhaps the moderators in a small way)
And if you just want to go straight to say, Products and Services Discussion, you could bookmark this link http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php#8
If there is a different section you would prefer to see first, post up, and I'll drop you a link so you can find it easily without scrolling all over the place.
For example http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php#4 will take you to the Technology Discussion part of the board.
Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Now there's a rant Wink
Tony_W
Grafter

Yes, I feel outclassed, outgunned, humbled and ashamed by my inadequacy....
Lurker
Grafter

I wouldn't - it was mainly in jest. Grin
Seriously though, if you want a link to a specific part of the boards that you prefer to look at first, shout up and I'm sure somebody can provide it for you.
If the first thing you do when you get here is scroll, say what you scroll to, and we'll dig out the link - there's no benefit to it being harder for anyone.