Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banned users cannot read forums

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Banned users cannot read forums

These forums can be read by absolutely anyone, Plusnet user or not. Banned users apparently cannot even read the forums which seems totally illogical (especially if they could circumvent this by use of a proxy) so I'm guessing that this is a mistake which needs correcting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
11 REPLIES 11
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Banned users cannot read forums

Wouldn't it be logical of the banned user to simply log out and view that way?
The way the forum is set up is probably to block all viewing of the forum by the Banned group by default. Does seem rather pointless though if its open to all.
Ianwild
Grafter

Mike is right - As I understand it from a quick read on the SMF forums, a banned user can't access the forum while logged in, but should still be able to log out. This isn't something we can recode, so the answer for someone affected is to logout if they wish to continue to read the forums.
Ian
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

There should be an option somewhere within the admin section of the forum which sets permissions for each designated group.
I've not got SMF installed so couldn't tell you off hand, but I've got it installing as I'm posting this, so will be able to have a better look soon Smiley
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Easiest way is to change the Restriction on the bans from "Full ban" to "Partial ban" and select "Cannot post" - that stops any message creation (including private messages), but allows them to use the forum in a read-only mode.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

From what Mike has said this is just a procedural change. So can you do this? Full ban is ludicrous when they can log out and read everything anyway.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

That's quite odd. Which options were set on the test account? I've set:
Restriction: Partial Ban (only Cannot Post checked)
Trigger: Ban on Username.
And the ban only effects the banned username.

jelv: It should simply be a case of editing the full ban code and changing it with the partial ban cannot post code, but then this could cause problems when they come to upgrading the forums because if that file is changed in an upgrade, then it will revert back to a "regular" Full ban rather than the "custom" Full ban.
Assos
Grafter

ah, but I read somewhere that removing posting rights also removes a users ability to PM, therefore we wouldn't be able to recieve the standard agreement to the rules via PM from users with suspended posting rights before the rights are reinstated.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yes that's right, because personal messages are dealt with the same way as posts are on the system. Without some serious messing about with the internal structure of SMF, I don't see it possible to say "yes to personal messages, no to all other posts".
Really at the end of the day you have to see it like this: The user is banned from the forum, why allow them to continue posting (albheit personal messages)? It could be opened up to abuse spamming people with messages simply because they got banned and are holding a vendetta against certain people.
My 2c on it Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Two questions:
1. Has the lunacy of banned people being unable to read the forums whilst every Tom, Dick and Harry from here to Timbuktu can read the forums been corrected?
2. Could one of the moderating team confirm that when a person is banned the terms of the ban are made clear, specifically how long the initial ban is for and the conditions under which it will be lifted.
If people are being banned I hope that it is being done correctly. Some time ago I was banned from the ADSLGuide forums and the first I knew of it was when I tried to make a post which I thought was pretty shabby. However on the positive side I was still able to read the forums.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If people are being banned I hope that it is being done correctly. Some time ago I was banned from the ADSLGuide forums and the first I knew of it was when I tried to make a post which I thought was pretty shabby. However on the positive side I was still able to read the forums.

I know that, at least on here, if you are banned then as soon as you log in you are prompted with a "you are banned" style message. Also I don't think you even get the chance to create a topic, etc.
Assos
Grafter

Two questions:
1. Has the lunacy of banned people being unable to read the forums whilst every Tom, Dick and Harry from here to Timbuktu can read the forums been corrected?

I have just checked the permissions set up in SMF and corrected them, so yes.
2. Could one of the moderating team confirm that when a person is banned the terms of the ban are made clear, specifically how long the initial ban is for and the conditions under which it will be lifted.

Yes, when a user has their posting rights suspended, an email is sent to the address recorded in the forum software, outlining the length of the ban, the reason for the ban and asking them to agree to the forum rules if they wish to regain access once the ban period is up as well as any other relevant information that may vary depending upon the exact circumstances.