cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachments in PMs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Attachments in PMs

I tried to search before posting but nothing was found using 'Attachments in Private', or the subject title, but anyway can't we add attachment(s) to Private Messages! Crazy3

24 REPLIES 24
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Attachments in PMs

You can still insert images in to the message Smiley

Managed to get the second half of my sentence at the start in my test pm to you though Embarrassed

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Inserting images into PMs had stopped working before launch. There's been no advise that the issues has been (properly) fixed, but I have managed to do some test PMs with images in, but it's a bit hit and miss along with Preview of PM where you can lose what you've entered.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - With some help I managed to get this to work, but it only appears to support images but for now at least it works for me.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Back to the OP's question - given that write a post and write a PM uses the same components, why is there no ability to attach files to PMs in the same way that there is for posts?

is this one for you @jaread83?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I can attach images to private messages without an issue but if its other things that need attaching like PDFs, XML, Word, Excel or anything other than images then I will need to raise a support ticket to include some kind of attachment to PM that will accept a wide range of file extensions.

Would you guys find this type of functionality useful for private messages? I think with normal posts you can attach files as an attachment just fine and they appear at the bottom of the message - this also helps mobile users attach files to posts.

If this is something you guys need I can add it to my feature list to get the ball rolling.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You can't attach .pdf files to posts?  You can. Smiley

You can't attach .xls, .doc etc.

validextensions.PNG

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jack,

It would certainly present consistency of functionality.  For a use point of view, it would allow non-image objects to be passed privately to support staff.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@w23 wrote:

You can't attach .pdf files to posts?

We are discussing Private Messages - not posts, which does have this functionality.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have added it to my enhancement list as this functionality would be very useful.

@w23, as you have already proven - you can insert pdf's into the attachment box. I think the main concern is that users might want to send sensitive documents to plusnet staff to better help them over PM rather than in public.

edit: i am aware that the attachments are limited for certain file extensions. this can be changed if there is a real need to attach those types of files.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

w23
Pro

Sorry, not paying attention.

As it stands, images can be placed in a message (not attached as files), could do with a file attach function please.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

Ignore, multitasking is NOT efficient! Sad

Call me 'w23'
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can always increase the scope of filetypes for attachments if neede - what file types do you guys use for file attachments on posts? it is currently set to only allow jpg, gif, png, jpeg and pdf.

I can set it so you can upload whatever you want but this could open the community up to malicious scripts so I am not prepared to do that! Cheesy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 - Anything that's not directly executable would be my suggestion. Maybe with a caveat added to the message / post to remind the user to scan any attachments downloaded from this site regardless of source.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm thinking...

all MS office documents

all image file formats

PDFs

Any others?

The caveat would need to be added to the FAQs about scanning downloaded attachments.