Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to use MORE screen?

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Any way to use MORE screen?

This new layout is only using about 60% of my screen width, loads of waste space, from the EXCESS white space between the boxes and all over.

There doesn't seem to be any way of increasing the useage?

I am NOT on a mobile device why do I have to see a mobile layout?

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Any way to use MORE screen?

Actually the width restriction was also on the old Forums

The problem isn't the width it is the appalling waste of vertical space which I have complained about at length during the beta phase. It was improved so you can guess how bad it was before

My particular bête noire is the unread topics page where it is totally useless without a load of scrolling - this morning there were 5 pages of it

Note that to reduce the space taken up by posts I have hidden the sigs

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Deleted - it looks as though it duplicated because it was posted in the middle of a software upgrade

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well the bottom of EACH post has a load of waste on it. REDUCE the size of the reply boxes, Message #s, etc
Why do we need a reply on EACH post? a quote button would be better.
Anotherone
Champion

The Reply button should specifically alert that poster of a reply even when not quoted - that's not always needed - assuming they're setup for notifications - as well as anyone else subscribed to the thread. But the amount of space occupied by all of this things has been raised, some of it is down to corporate styling policy - I remarked about this in another thread - go and look at the main site, that's just as bad. Other aspects are that the size of some buttons on Mobile devices need to be considered, but there are also some HUGE ones that need to be scaled down. The idea of a floating Reply button has also been considered, but that's a bigger coding issue I believe

There are also a number of features missing that we are pressing for.

am77
Grafter

A quick and dirty fix in my opinion would simply to have the thread title area(s) shaded in with a very light grey or very off white.  This in itself would reduce the white space.  

The icon size could also be generally reduced by a couple of pixels in height too, although that'd take a bit longer. 

Anotherone
Champion

It's been suggested that the titles be removed from replies, or at the very least the font size reduced significantly. Reducing a few pixels here and there is relatively trivial as I understand it, but as mentioned before it's being driven by corporate styling policy at this time - but that may change Wink