Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Lithium Bug

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Another Lithium Bug

Well apart from the unread posts one, which still exists - I have found yet another one with unread posts.

I have seen a couple where an all caps subject title has been modified by the mods. That's fine, but the uneditied all caps version appears on unread posts but not on the actual post.

Could be nasty if it were a different kind of edit required, and I will say no more.

If I can help testing this, I don't mind.

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Another Lithium Bug

This is a variation of a ‘characteristic’ which has existed since day one. I believe that this is down to a (very logical) modification in the skin made by @jaread83

The raw product has the title as an element on every post. In the native product it is possible to modify the topic title on every post. Any like / reply to / notification on a post uses the title ON THAT POST.

I believe that the modification made...

1. Inhibited changes to the title on replies to the topic

2. Made all posts display the title of the first post

Consequently if the topic title has. It been changed then all is fine.

If the topic title (that on the first post) has been changed, whilst displaying posts will show the new title consistently some internal functionality (that deeper than the skin) will continue to show the original title.

Far from ideal but something deep in the rotten flesh of this product.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @Townman it not exactly a show stopper (like you say), for anyone who knows me I am good at moaning. Just a bit annoying don't all say yes at once, please. 😀

Being a developer I just pick up on these things. I find it unlikely they have not been been noticed and I don't know how much of a fix it will be. Just letting people know in case they've not been noticed, though I suspect they have.

My moaning aside, that the unread posts check and the spell checker (which appears to have gone permanently into the abyss are quite annoying). When I want to do a spell check I have to do a Cmd-A, Cmd-V paste it into Word do the spell check and do the same back here.

Other than the above, I don't mind Lithium that much.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @Alex

Not taken as a moan at all - valid observations. This product is quite poor in numerous areas which the product owners seem indifferent to addressing. I know Jack did a shed load of magic in the web interface to cover up a number of the irritations.

As for spell checking, though the explicit button has gone (it was never there originally) and the TinyMC plugin is using (invoking) browser based (side) spell checking. Sometime ago when a new release a year ago substantially destroyed Jack’s post editing screen, the spell check button appeared defeating the spell check as you type browser functionality.

At the same time, the quote insert and HTML edit functions were also trashed. They are very irritating ... but like a few other things not on anyone’s supplier product quality management radar. I’ve been a supplier manager in IT amongst other roles and I’d be looking for the sound of breaking bones here!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

I agree Townman, if I worked like that as a developer and someone reported a bug. If I didn't fix it but chose to just remove functionality instead of actually fixing it, my boss and the end users would not be happy with me at all.

How they get away with it is beyond me.