cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adware advertising

Bifford

Adware advertising

Greetings Plusnet.
I use Spyware Doctor to monitor my system and block nasty things.
When I try to use your forum I have to disable the Intelliguard system to be able to Log-in and when Intelliguard is on every time I access a thread or page it says it has blocked a threat which it reports as being Adware Advertising.
i would like to know why you have adware advertising please.
Thank you.
Sam
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Adware advertising

Does it tell you what exactly is being reported as Adware?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bifford

Hi Chris
It says it is adware.adsponsor and that it is trying to access a file: UNP8356508.TMP
Thanks.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Checking google for adware.adsponsor it's showing that it's more likely to be something that's infected your PC and trying to open popup windows. Have you tried running an alternative spyware scan to make sure Spyware Doctor hasn't missed anything?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you have Avast on the machine
Bifford

oldjim:  I do, and double checking the location of that file it is in c:windows/temp/avast5/
What does that mean please?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63
Bifford

ahah! many thanks oldjim - SD won't allow folder or wildcard selection, only individual files but I've done as the last poster says "anyone using SD  under the file guard change from "processes & scripts" to "Processes only" with the drop down." and hopefully this will solve the problem! Smiley
I'm glad it wasn't anything to do with Plusnet or their forums as I am in the process of migrating to them and wouldn't have thought it good if they had been using adware advertising. maybe this could be added to a FAQ for the forum somewhere?
Thanks again to you both.
Sam.