cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addition of an FAQ section.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Addition of an FAQ section.

This forum is screaming out for an FAQ section, surely the ability to support this must exist within the platform already?

The number of posts on the same subject is a bit tedious, a prime example is the separation of the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the Plusnet provided router.

Can the superusers get any traction on this?

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Addition of an FAQ section.

It would be an utter waste of time as no one bothers to read them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It think you may well be right @DaveyH!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@DaveyH wrote:

True, else people would have found the previous posts relating to the issue anyway. Pinning useful topics to the top of the board does the same thing but we could do with one relating to separating the bands pinning there. At least it's then easy to point people to the solution.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm, I can see the points from both sides.

While I think it is a good idea, I suspect newish forum users will just post their problem without reading it anyway.

Regular forum users will probably know the answers for themselves.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@DaveyH wrote:

Pinning useful topics to the top of the board does the same thing...

Which nobody reads either...

Baldrick1

If you had read to the end of my post:

@Baldrick1 wrote

At least it's then easy to point people to the solution.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Typing in a title to a new post offers suggestions and links to posts having similarities ... one wonders to what extent new posters take any notice of such hints and read the topics before posting? There is though the issue that whilst descriptions might be found to be similar, the placing of answers in tickets defeats the reusability if previous events.

I fully support the tenants of this idea and have sought to gain official support for the same. Publishing FAQs does require official support so that any answer is deemed to be an approved position. I suspect that this has not come to fruition because having accepted FAQs would be a clear admission of there being unresolved issues which the media might jump on and therefore maybe not acceptable to the PR department.

It’s otherwise a great idea ... @JonoH ... is there anything you can add please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@Townman wrote:
Publishing FAQs does require official support so that any answer is deemed to be an approved position. I suspect that this has not come to fruition because having accepted FAQs would be a clear admission of there being unresolved issues which the media might jump on and therefore maybe not acceptable to the PR department.

I can see now why this could be an issue. Some questions that keep recurring relate to subjects such as, for example, the wireless performance of a Hub Zero router, where the popular advice is to ditch it and buy a far better Plusnet competitor's device from Ebay.

I can quite see that Plusnet would be unable to underwrite helpful advice such as this.

There are some help pages produced by Plusnet already that get referenced, many of which are out of date. I suspect that as Plusnet would have to review and approve FAQs the whole thing would fall into disrepute.

On balance I suspect that we're probably better off as we are!

Moderator and Customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's nothing to say that this has to be sanctioned by Plusnet it could be a Community FAQ with a Plusnet disclaimer if needed, after all this is a Community site.

Baldrick1

@Anonymous 

I do understand and can see the logic of your argument but I can also see that of @Townman. If can use an example. There is a big difference between an individual contributor posting something along the lines: 'Independant reviews show that Plusnet's router have very poor WiFi performance, go out and buy so and so" and such a message becoming the answer to a FAQ published on a Plusnet sponsored forum. Unless such advice can be included, or if it has to be watered down, then in my opinion the exercise becomes a waste of time.

Moderator and Customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

An FAQ, is as we know a, Frequently Asked Question, the key word here is question, to me that does not imply anything about it being or containing the definitive answer.

I can understand the perception of that if the FAQ is the product of and maintained by Plusnet but with a disclaimer and pre publication moderation I don’t see what the issue is and I see no reason why a Community FAQ published in this manner needs to be sanctioned. It is a simple matter of automatically adding either a header or footer to the post to show this is the opinion of the poster and all advice must be taken accordingly. The same is true of any other post here, regardless of the section title.

I think we both know that this idea won’t get the traction it needs to become a reality and if this is down to the argument forwarded by @Townman regarding Plusnet's PR then what does that say about Plusnet.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To be clear I still think this is a great idea. I can see logistical considerations requiring the engagement of the mods to make things sticky, have them locked and the means to up date them. I’ll go sponsor this in the SU arena.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your support on this @Townman, it is appreciated, and I hope you get the support and backing that's needed to move this forward.

Baldrick1

@Anonymous 

Question asked more than once on this forum: What can I do about the poor wireless performance of my Hub Zero?

Often this is responded to with the answer: Go onto EBay and buy a Smarthub 6.

Why doesn’t this fit within the definition of a Q&A?

Moderator and Customer