Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add notification about replying to a very old post

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Add notification about replying to a very old post

This used to be a feature but now isn't

I checked because a new poster replied to a thread which was over 3 years old and obviously got there because of the "helpful" tip when typing in the subject field

24 REPLIES 24
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Add notification about replying to a very old post

What would happen if someone replies to an old thread in the previous system?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We received a popup informing us the topic we were replying to had not received replies for over 2 years and we may consider starting a new one......

Or something along those lines.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So the popup is just a warning that the thread is very old and the user can then carry on with their post or cancel the action?

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Correct.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Added to my enhancement list. It might be possible to just provide a warning below the editor to warn users that they are just replying to an old thread rather than have a popup stopping them (there is already a script in place on this page and wouldn't want to over complicate that script).

Adding this to my enhancement list now.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The old topic warning setting in an SMF forum I administer is 120 days. That is probably the default and is plenty in my opinion.

David
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That sounds like a reasonable time. I guess that its measured from the last post rather than when the thread was created? I say this becuase there are a couple of threads here which are old but still get some activity (the one about IP addresses I think?).

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes - it was from the last post

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The warning one gets in SMF is displayed within the reply panel as shown below.

NFnotifWarn.png

David
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's awesome cheers for the info everyone. The screenshot is very helpful and I should be able to implement something for this.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

The real question here is whether the functionality should be within the core product (as in SMF) or in a JS bolt on script?  

Given the recent response in the 'Add notification about replying to a very old post' thread to not pursue to implementation, I just don't see this topic getting completed anytime soon?  I can only hope to be pleasantly surprised sometime in the new year Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Oh @MauriceC, you really should have more faith in me (just did this on staging - @Oldjim and @spraxyt you can have a look if you like - you will need to try to reply to any threads that the last post was on or before 29th of Feb).

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 16.19.51.png

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yep, works (on staging) and looks good to me. Grin

David
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just an FYI, this is not a Javascript enhancement. I am directly interacting with the community API and doing a comparison of todays date with 120 days removed and the date of the last post in the thread.