cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account settings/hide e-mail address

Not applicable

Account settings/hide e-mail address

It is probably too easy to neglect to tick the 'Hide E-mail' box ( have seen this happen so many times in other forums).  Most people prefer them to be hidden. Would it be possible to have the box ticked by default?
Also, I went into 'Profile' and changed things quite easily but can PN guarantee anonymity/security?  (I am thinking of the problem earlier this year).
11 REPLIES 11
Teatime
Grafter

Re: Account settings/hide e-mail address

I'll second that! I almost overlooked that it defaults to making the e-mail address public. By all means give a choice, but I think that the default should be to hide it.
Starlord

and consider this subject / request now thirded Smiley
I help a few people running sites / boards and this is a option on other boards, maybe someone can have a nose around the admin section?
TIA
Starlord
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sounds like a sensible tweak to me.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Moved from bugs to suggestions.
Kelly Dorset
Be3G
Grafter

Bear in mind though that the option we're talking about is a bit of a misnomer. As far as I can see, the board never actually reveals someone's e-mail address; only, it provides a web form (with no e-mail address showing) if someone wants to e-mail someone else. So even if you don't have the 'hide e-mail address' (or whatever it's called) option turned on, your e-mail address will never actually be shown to anyone.
Kelly
Hero

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  Huh
Kelly Dorset
Colin
Grafter

I applied a mod to SMF so that it would do the form thing instead of showing unobscured email addresses.
jazz
Grafter

I agree that the default should be to hide email address.  It is so easy to miss ticking boxes in the registration process and much better to keep the address hidden. 
Be3G
Grafter

Precisely - they'll just see a web form which they can use to e-mail you, which doesn't in any way give away your e-mail address.
trev

Quote from: James_H
So are we saying that if I want people to be able to contact me via email, I need to unhide my email address, but with the mod Colin added, folks won't see my address still.

But if you do want your e-mail address to be known you could add it to your sig. Wink
Colin
Grafter

I'd rather have the form-based email system v's having my email address displayed unobscured... I get enough spam as it is Smiley
If there's strong opinion, it might be possible to make it an option