cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about Mod reported Spam

Anonymous
Not applicable

A question about Mod reported Spam

When a message is reported as spam by a user is the post in question still visible to other users until such times as it is dealt with or is it (as I think it should be) hidden?

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: A question about Mod reported Spam

Looking at the latest one - it appears it remains visible until actioned by a mod.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmm, this is not good.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While I see the benefits of it working the way you thought it should, it would also open it up to abuse if people started flagging legitimate posts as spam just to make the disappear while awaiting moderation Undecided

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Understand what you are saying, @HarryB , and I tend to agree with you. Most spam posts I have seen/reported get binned fairly quickly, and we really don't need to increase the workload on the mods - after all they do a very good job for nothing, for which I for one am grateful.

John
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@jab1 wrote:

Most spam posts I have seen/reported get binned fairly quickly, and we really don't need to increase the workload on the mods - after all they do a very good job for nothing, for which I for one am grateful.

We do have some great moderators Thumbs_Up

@Strat @dvorak @Mav

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Embarrassed

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a fair point @HarryB, and makes sense, of course if it did work the other way then the moderators would soon put a stop to the abuse I'm sure of that. Smiley

Mav
Fixes: 515

A lot of spam seems to be posted in the early hours when most members are tucked up in bed or busy for the morning rush including us mods hence they often don't get seen till later. Occasionally, due to insomnia, I am around at silly 'o' clock but not always.

Nevertheless we do try to jump on them and get them removed pronto.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend

@Mav -totally understand what you are saying (including the insomnia, as I suffer,too), and it obvious these lowlifes will target periods when they THINK they can get away  with it.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There is though another angle on this ... if reported posts don't get visibly marked (or hidden) the mods could end up being 'spammed' with reports.  I've discussed this with @jaread83 in another setting so see if it is really an issue and if it is what simple remedies might be applied .... short of enforced joining of forum ids to user accounts. Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Townman wrote:

if reported posts don't get visibly marked (or hidden) the mods could end up being 'spammed' with reports.

We do but prefer it to the infringement not going reported.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav
Fixes: 515

I agree with @Strat. Plenty of reports yesterday but if no-one bothered to report them then it can only get worse. So thanks for all the reports.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I will be looking into adding something to the report form that would tell the user that the post has already been reported. Just need to figure out how to cross reference with posts and the reported post. This is way down on my list at the moment though as I have other things to look at that are in the development cycle.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be really useful @jaread83 and save the mods wading through piles of unnecessary messages and it has the advantage of letting the spammer know that we're on to them should they care to look Smiley