cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS6 launch and Network performance tonight

prichardson
Grafter

iOS6 launch and Network performance tonight

Last Wednesday evening some of our customers reported broadband performance issues on real-time applications, including gaming and streaming, much of this occurring during the Apple Keynote speech announcing the iPhone 5.
Tonight is set to bring more demand to the network again, as Apple release the iOS 6 for download to many iPhone and iPod devices, coupled with the European Manchester Utd Match.
Our network capacity has been built out to support this and we announced additional capacity ahead of normal for these events.
We are as ever though, looking for customer feedback on their broadband experience of these events. So what are we after exactly?
First off, those that witnessed the problems last week first hand, we would really love to hear your experience tonight. This has obviously hurt your experience of the service already, so it's important to see what happens tonight. We would like this regardless if you see problems.
For anybody seeing problems tonight though, we would appreciate if you can perform the following tests.
Important: Please perform these tests before you attempt to reconnect or gateway hop.
[list type=decimal]
  • Locate the IP of the hostname you are seeing problems to

• Perform a traceroute to this IP and capture the output

• Perform a Wireshark packet capture

• Perform a second packet capture, but restart your download, game or stream when capturing, so we can see the start of the data flow

• I appreciate you may not be a be able to do points 1 & 2 if you are unsure how to locate the IP, but we would really love the packet captures.
    By all means, once you have compiled this data, try and reconnect or gateway hop to see if the experience is any different. You can then also report on the experience from that as well.
    How can I get the information to Plusnet?
    First off, tell us all about it here on the Community Site. Share the experience so others can see the information you capture and help them to share similar and/or different information from what you are seeing.
    Getting the packet captures to us is a little more complex. Traditionally, submitting these via our ticket support system has been problematic. As such, we have setup a one time email address for you to use.
    Send these to: wireshark@servicestatus.plus.com
    Please note: This address will only be available as part of this experience investigation, it will be disabled within the next 7 days. We will be unable to provide any direct support from this address.
    20 REPLIES 20
    bobpullen
    Community Gaffer
    Community Gaffer
    Fixes: 316

Re: iOS6 launch and Network performance tonight

Phil, I can't really capture any of the traffic as it's OTA but updating a 4S to iOS6 here isn't looking great tonight. Started at 8.50pm and more than half an hour later it's telling me it's going to take nigh on a day to complete! Shocked

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team
    If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
    Fixes: 1,483

same here, mine's reporting 6 hours to complete.
    Customer / Moderator
    If it helped click the thumb
    If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
    awkelly
    Dabbler

iOS6 download is currently taking ages, mine has restarted that many times I've lost count.    Web and Gaming traffic looks OK though.
    Chris
    Legend
    Fixes: 169

Right my experience tonight, testing between 8 and 9.45pm.
    Streaming - fine, no issues. Watched most of the Chelsea game via Sky Go and it was smooth.
    Gaming - fine, ping very close to normal. No stuttering and running as I'd expect.
    Browsing - fine, snappy page loads.
    Speedtests - much worse than normal.  

usually it's

These went back to

shortly before 10pm
    Steam downloads - I tried to pre-load a game tonight and normally on Steam I get 7.0MBs (yep capital MB), tonight I was getting the screenshot attached.

Unfortunately wireshark doesn't like my home machine and won't recognise the network interface.
    Tracert to the Steam CDN I was hitting
    C:\Users\>tracert 87.248.210.253
    Tracing route to cdn-87-248-210-253.lon.llnw.net [87.248.210.253]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
     1    52 ms   100 ms    98 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
     2    43 ms    41 ms    39 ms  lo0-central10.pcl-ag05.plus.net [195.166.128.186
    ]
     3    49 ms    44 ms    29 ms  link1-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net [84.93.249.128
    ]
     4    38 ms    42 ms    41 ms  xe-8-2-0.pcl-cr01.plus.net [212.159.1.8]
     5    55 ms    35 ms    57 ms  ae2.pcl-cr02.plus.net [195.166.129.7]
     6    28 ms    30 ms    44 ms  ae1.ptw-cr02.plus.net [195.166.129.2]
     7    36 ms    35 ms    32 ms  tge2-3.fr4.lon.llnw.net [195.66.236.133]
     8    30 ms    30 ms    33 ms  ve8.fr3.lon.llnw.net [68.142.125.89]
     9    28 ms    60 ms    60 ms  cdn-87-248-210-253.lon.llnw.net [87.248.210.253]
    Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
    bobpullen
    Community Gaffer
    Community Gaffer

Quote from: Chris
    Speedtests - much worse than normal.

Ouch! You're not wrong about the speedtests (normally ~60-70Mbps):

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
    Community Gaffer
    Community Gaffer

Hmmm, few more and it's back to normal though.

Not using the Internet heavily but I must admit, I like Chris haven't noticed any other problems aside from the dog-slow iOS download and a few dodgy speedtest results..
    Edit: FWIW, there's a fair few people on Twitter complaining about how long it's taking to download and they're certainly not all Plusnet customers.
    Edit 2: I was on pcl-ag03 BTW.

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team

RPMozley
    Pro
    Fixes: 13

Had a few issues here with iPlayer on the Wii between 9 & 10. I'm not planning on updating to iOS 6 anytime soon, will be waiting for untethered jailbreak to come out first, for my iPod Touch 4.
    That's RPM to you!!
    Kelly
    Hero
    Fixes: 9

"issues"?  What does that mean?  Can you answer some of the questions above?  We can't help fix with out more info 😕
    Kelly Dorset
    Ex-Broadband Service Manager
    RPMozley
    Pro

Well, what issues would you expect to see from iPlayer streaming? Buffering problems of course.  Roll_eyes
    Obviously wire captures are impossible for the Wii, so can't really provide those. Sorry I can't provide much help, just a users experience.
    That's RPM to you!!
    Kelly
    Hero
    Fixes: 9

true!
    I presume it just fixed itself after 10?
    Kelly Dorset
    Ex-Broadband Service Manager
    pnf
    Grafter

Just noticed this thread having downloaded iOS 6 earlier onto an 8GB iPod Touch.
    I started the download just before 20:00 and the whole process was complete by about 21:15. It's difficult to know what proportion of this time was for the download itself.  When the download initially started it reported that it would take 22 minutes, then 1 hour but after a few minutes this dropped to 6 minutes.  When checking my router a few minutes ago I noticed that my connection dropped at about 20:30, right in the middle of the update process, but I wasn't aware of this at the time.  
    Browsing has been OK this evening with no noticeable slow downs.
    Edit: corrected a typo
    RPMozley
    Pro

You presume correctly Kelly. Things got better at around 10pm.
    That's RPM to you!!
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero
    Fixes: 10

A sort time ago I finished watching an hour long program on ITV player. No issues whatsoever.
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    spraxyt
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 75

No problems streaming a programme from iPlayer 23:05 to 23:50. Gateway ptn-ag01.
    David