Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential Refresh 2014 FAQ

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Residential Refresh 2014 FAQ

Sorry, didn't make it clear. Once BDUK funding has been given to BT and fibre is available I don't think they should be allowed to charge higher prices for ANY xDSL service on the exchange.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Re: Speed based charging
Be careful what you wish for!  Going down this route could make many lines uneconomic to provide broadband and services could be denied/withdrawn.  Alternatively the price per Mb/s could be set at something considerably higher than 25p making fast broadband unaffordable.

It's so difficult to implement on xDSL lines and police that I can't see it happening unlike for FTTP lines where this is exactly how it is charged for as each line is fully capable of 1Gbps.
How to define and measure what is a line's official 'speed'? - you can just see the arguments!
What happens when a line is capable of a higher speed but the resident does not want to take advantage of this - so wants to be charged for and capped at a lower speed - that's yet more control equipment needed.
Then there are awkward people like me who would be pleading with BT NOT to upgrade/improve the line as we don't want to pay more.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but apart from line rental I can not see the per minute call charges. Can Solomon direct me please?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
dsw
Grafter

Can customers upgrade from ADSL to FTTC part way through an ADSL contract?
godsell4
Rising Star

Any thoughts about this offer? http://www.plus.net/offers/juneaff14/unlimited/
Not obvious there is discussion on this forum about it that I have seen.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: lucerne
… apart from line rental I can not see the per minute call charges.

These are in the tariff guide here.for the new phone products, or here for those on a legacy phone product.
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: dsw
Can customers upgrade from ADSL to FTTC part way through an ADSL contract?

Yes, the remainder of the ADSL contract is cancelled and a new one started for FTTC. If Home Phone is with or can be moved to Plusnet it might be worth giving the Customer Options Team a call. They are on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197 Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays) and Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm.

David
Ado16
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
You have got it totally back to front.
It costs a lot of money to install LLU equipment in an exchange
To encourage operators into market 1 exchanges you need to ensure they can charge MORE to customers.
Furthermore you need to ensure the ability to charge more lasts for a considerable amount of time after they have installed their equipment.
That way the operators will have a financial incentive to go into an mk1 exchange knowing that they will be guaranteed 'excess' profits both now and until the next exchange re-evaluation by OFCOM.
This is to compensate them for their up-front capital expenses in installing the equipment in the first place.
This is why OFCOM only re-evaluate exchanges on a periodic basis usually every 3 years or so....to give the new operator time though the higher charges they make to their subscribers to re-coup their capital investment.
If an exchange was re-classified immediately LLU operators arrived the incentive for them to go there in the first place would have been removed - so those who call for this to happen do not understand the reason for the market classification. - it is essential as part of the scheme that this re-evaluation only occurs at lengthy intervals.

No, OFCOM are not a waste of oxygen as the other poster suggested.

Well - the incentives to encourage others into rural exchanges certainly worked. Not.
OFCON has been a waste of space for many years. Whether it's overseeing Radio, TV or Telecommunications in it's various guises. They don't stand for the interest of customers - just the protecting the interests of big business.  Government pretends to be interested in connecting the Nation with decent broadband and creating competition, whilst meanwhile delivering little more than an expensive monopoly to the likes of BT. 
In an ideal World the clever clever discounts thrown around the place to some areas should end - to allow cheaper flat rate Broadband for all and to help those people in rural areas - sometimes just 10 or 15 miles outside of major cities so they can actually get connected in the way the Government "pretends" it wants to see.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

We have had Sky in our "Market 1" exchange for a couple of years. TalkTalk were supposed to be putting their equipment in ,around November/December(according to a BT engineer!)
HOWEVER, 21CN arrived in December and then in February /March the new fibre kit appeared on the streets -now it appears that TalkTalk have dropped their plans -presumably the economics stacked up before but now .......
Suggests that we will be stuck on MKT A after any reclassification. - even with fibre and ADSL2+
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Perhaps now those rural exchanges are unprofitable for LLU whatever they may have been before. Nothing in life is written in stone; in death maybe! Roll_eyes ;D. And look who they're selling to!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
petecov44
Grafter

My parents have BT and TT LLU at their exchange. It's due to get fibre this year BT say - not sure when. It's very rural
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@Lucerne -I'd missed that Telegraph article -explains the decision about our little exchange. Sad
Ado16
Grafter

Back to these changes. Where does this leave previous Essentials Customers on the £5.99 a month tariff? Forced to pay £4 a month extra?
Hmmmm. Primus is looking rather attractive...... #justsaying
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You stay on it as long as you want and the price won't change
spraxyt
Resting Legend

As part of the product refresh the Essentials product has been withdrawn from sale to new customers. However existing Essentials customers aren't being forced to change products (though that option is available to them).
Anyone taking their phone service from Plusnet and considering changing to Unlimited might well find it worthwhile giving the Customer Options Team a call (0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197, Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays), Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm).

David