Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet Protect

In the meantime, I might give McAfee a whirl on machine to see how it measures up, but doubt I'll use it long term, since the trust just isn't there for me.... Yet!

Let us know if you do please Mike, would be interested to hear how you get on with that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I agree with you poppy they would of been better going with Kaspersky, I wont ever be using McAfee but People will be glad that they do at least have a choice and I cant condone Plusnet for that.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think we would have liked to have offered a choice but brokering such a deal with 2 different competing providers of such software would be nigh-on impossible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah what I meant was at least Plusnet are giving the choice of an AV for free, In my book that's better than nowt Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Installed Plusnet Protect Mcaffee yesterday (pc running windows 7 & IE9 beta) but browser stopped responding on numerous occasions & I experienced various other problems until I had total system lock up and had to reboot twice. Thats enough for me ! - have now gone back to trusty AVG which I have been using for years now without issue. All is now well again ! Smiley
Rich
>>> Meant to say we're running 2 laptops as well with Win 7 & Mcaffee with no issues so it might just be an IE9 beta problem
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I had IE9 beta installed on here.. did exactly the same, so went back to 8/Safari..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi all,
Seems to be a few people having issues with IE 9beta, I'll raise that with our developers. With that being a beta release we won't guarantee any level of compatibility I'm afraid.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bascule
Grafter

I've installed this to give it a try.
Seems to be working well on one XP and one Vista machine so far though the old XP machine is struggling more than it did with Avast! plus Blue Coat Web Protection. I guess the firewall makes it bulkier than my previous combination. Having 4 children of various ages, I like the parental controls per account but they don't seem granular enough and it would be good to be able to allow additional custom websites to a lower age filter set than having to allow a whole category just to allow a web site.
The jury's still out at the moment. I had used the excellent Avast! along with Blue Coat Web Protection for many years with no trouble so I'll take some convincing but so far so good.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks Bascule
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
barky
Grafter

I'd rather wait to see what comments are posted over next few months to decide if i'll use plusnet protect ... used to have mcafee a few years ago & that experience makes me extremely wary as it seemed to have a habit of only really working fairly smoothly on newish pcs with latest OS, rest hit & miss ... currently have security software I'm very happy with, all comodo on one machine & mixture of avast and comodo on another.
BUT ... but might give it a go soon on an older machine to see how things go
barky
Grafter

now have PN protect installed on an XP SP3 machine and unlike previous mcafee there is some ram left over ...  the install doesn't seem to prompt for a reboot though, tells you that mcafee security center is installed OK & is running but no broadband connection seems active ... having installed a gazillion programs I rebooted and all works fine.
I do notice the gui seems very basic showing little of what's going on within mcafee unlike avast & comodo which i've used recently ... would have been nice to get avast internet security packaged as plusnet protect (if only for its better rated anti-virus) but then a bigger company like mcafee can easier afford & has experience of supplying internet service providers with a branded solution at oem-like prices ..... protect will be of help for those who wish to use a well known brand of security package without have to fork out for it helping to make the internet a slightly safer place for all.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'd rather wait to see what comments are posted over next few months to decide if i'll use plusnet protect

I think a few people seem to be taking this tack. It seems like a very sensible idea. I'll do what I can to try and get as much feedback about this as we can in the meantime.
Please keep telling us what you think of this offering.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plwfd

McAfee keeps asking me to renew even though I'm meant to get this service free as part of my braodband service. The link takes me to the Plusnet home page - so no help there. Problem has been ongoing for a week now and McAfee will not update with latest information and other users have said that unistalling and reinstalling has not solved the issue Angry
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Plwfd:  We are working on trying to work out what's going on.  Sad
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
LiamM
Grafter